Acer palmatum 'Kamagata'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mjh1676, Apr 19, 2005.

1. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Another outstanding cultivar of Acer palmatum with small 5-7lobed leaves with each lobe tapering to a nice pointed tip. Leaves are small on older growth, but can be twice the size on new vigorous growth, although the leaves rarely revert or stray from their typical shape.

Kamagata has, for the most part, a solid medium to light green color throughout the season, with the leaf margins edged in red more heavily in the spring.

An attractive semi-dwarf tree that can grow vigorously when young for a small tree. Although twiggy in growth habit, it is a very hardy and strong tree.

This tree is 4 years old shown in fall coloration 10/04 and spring coloration first 3/22/05 and then 4/18/05. This tree has remained in moderate shade with filtered afternoon sun for the last two years--MJH

Attached Files:

sun likes this.
  2. industrial

industrial Active Member

Just got mine.About a metre high.

Attached Files:

3. industrial

industrial Active Member

Pics taken this spring

Attached Files:

4. paxi

paxi Active Member

I've really come around on this tree, and I'm not even getting much of the reddish tipped margins that this cultivar is know for. It has be a very vigorous grower, thick after less than a year with me. This one is in filtered sun; another in deep shade is also growing quickly but with no coloration (I plan to move it).

Two things I love about this cultivar are not really captured in my pictures:

1) It has a very nice bright lime green color in spring that makes it stand out from the background.

2) The texture - it is one of those maples that you can't help running your fingers through. Sometimes when the same word is used over and over to describe a cultivar - its probably true. The word for kamagata is "feathery"

Attached Files:

5. interactbiz

interactbiz Active Member

I have two potted Kamagata trees that have lingered as deprived orphans, untended in the shady back yard. They have not been vigorous growers but they will now get some TLC and a place in the garden. Autumn color shows a beautiful red as can be seen in the attached picture taken in late September.

I will re-pot and prune to shape over the winter. We aim to keep the trees permanently in containers. Any pruning and shaping suggestions?

November 2008 update: We got a beautiful show of autumn red from our two dwarf Kamagatas. I think these need a reasonable amount of light and a little neglect of watering to bring on the fall colour. With fine leaves and small stature, the variety is worthy of a small garden spot that displays well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  6. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Planted in June 2000, Kamagata has shown itself to be a very slow dwarf acer, even now it is only about 1ft tall. The green leaves in pic 5 are of an epimedium to get an idea of scale. It is in a sheltered heavily shaded area.

ACER  KAMAGATA 08-04-2007 11-24-35.jpg ACER  KAMAGATA 13-04-2007 14-23-49.jpg ACER  KAMAGATA 13-04-2007 14-24-02.jpg
    ACER  KAMAGATA 08-05-2007 10-10-29.jpg ACER  KAMAGATA  14-11-2008 11-17-52.jpg

7. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Have never noticed any seeds on this cultivar yet. Photos May 12/08.

Attached Files:

8. dawgie

dawgie Active Member 10 Years

My Kamagata has grown faster than I expected. I had planned to grow in containers indefinitely but I might need to plant in the yard after this summer. I bought mine as a first year graft and this photo was taken when it was about 2-3 years old.

Attached Files:

9. interactbiz

interactbiz Active Member

Sadly, our two dwarf Kamagata container grown trees died in 2009. We think Spring kill. The leaf buds bad begun to swell and the plant was waking up, weather turned cold for a while and the trees never came to life again. They had survived at least 5 years in our yard.

We live in North Vancouver. Anyone else experience loss of Japanese maples in 2009? We have a few dozen maple trees and nothing else was affected.

10. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It's strange that they both died and nothing else was affected. I lost a container grown Kamagata in a similar way a few years ago; it seemed alright but it just never woke up again in the spring. I grow about 30 cultivars and this is the only one it ever happened to. Our climate here is generally fairly mild, but the early spring can often be cold and wet.

11. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

It's always sad to lose a maple. My Kamagata was not thriving in a rather flat area in my garden, but it perked up nicely when I placed it on a 45˚ slope where it gets much better drainage. It has gone through (each spring) that proto-leafing out stage only to have frost hit it hard, but it seems to do very well in spite of that. I believe this tree needs great drainage to perform well. Could that have been a factor in North Vancouver? Did you have an especially wet spring? Just curious.

12. franflower

franflower Member

Thanks for the information....this would be perfect for my driveway which is lightly shaded by a walnut tree. The red against the stamped concrete will look really nice.

13. Viperman

Viperman Member

Can someone link a site where you can buy small dwarfs for a really cheap price??

I want to growm one in a pot on my balcony

John

14. gotsomerice

gotsomerice Member

John,
    Please let us know if you find the cheap source for dwarf Japanese Maples. I for sure cannot find one for life of me.
    :)

15. seventrees

seventrees Active Member

One of my favorites.

seventrees

Attached Files:

16. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

May 2009 and October 2007

Attached Files:

17. cthenn

cthenn Active Member

My new Kamagata. I think I got a fantastic specimen with this one, I'm quite pleased with the shape it is taking. Pics taken 5/19/10.

Attached Files:

18. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Looks like you got a really nice specimen there. I like it's natural habit a lot. I think it is generally an underrated cultivar, and I'm not sure why. It can be very showy at times, and I like it's neat and graceful form. Happy growing.

19. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I saw the most amazingly huge Kamagata this weekend at Charlie's. I didn't know they even got that big! It took three tries to find a spot where I could get the whole tree in my camera phone so it's in the ground behind some other trees. But I had to share this because my mind is still boggling.

Attached Files:

20. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

here is a photo of the tree a few years back before I planted it

Attached Files:

21. amazingmaples

this is my 12' tall Kamagata which is one of my few trees planted in my yard

Attached Files:

22. amazingmaples

this tree always has great spring color. This last winter I relocated my big kamagata, it is a perfect fit.

Attached Files:

23. brierphoto

brierphoto Active Member

I am just stunned by my Kamagata this spring, I never expected the foliage to be as pretty as it is. Now I know why it's the "special" tree. :)

Attached Files:

24. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

Kamagata is great. I also like Sharp's Pygmy and Cynthia's Crown Jewel, but their leaves are abit wider and lack the nice spring colors. The fall colors on Sharp's Pygmy are among the best in my collection.

25. brierphoto

brierphoto Active Member

My poor Kamagata after a late-summer partial leaf drop and subsequent new growth. Despite the awkward green tips, it did deepen into a lovely ruby red.

Attached Files: