Acer palmatum 'Bi hoo'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Gomero, Sep 21, 2005.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

If after a short heatwave you had the same weather as here (that is not too hot with regular showers of rain but some sun too), and if you repotted it last spring, no wonder.

Mine needs repotting next spring, but also I would like to prune it so it doesn't get too high. That is what I fear the most for if it has been very healthy so far (except this year with a few brown spots), I don't know how it will take it. I'll spray BB after leaf fall and Nordox when pruning it. Fingers crossed...

maf likes this.
  2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Finally got round to staking/training the 'Bi hoo' because all the top growth was growing in the same direction towards the light. I really hadn't expected it to grow so much in one season, the tape measure revealed it is now over 2 metres (not including the pot) and has put on about 70cm in height this year. The growth seems to have stopped now and the shoots are hardening quite well so fingers crossed for the winter and spring! .... I will wait till after the killing season has finished before I make any pruning decisions as there is always the chance nature will make the decision for me.

Leaves on the vigorous new top growth are up to 10cm long while on lower twiggy wood some leaves are only 2cm. The main stem is still very green so hopefully it will colour up when the leaves fall.

IMG_20210927_182613.jpg IMG_20210927_184311.jpg IMG_20210927_184128.jpg

Xi-feng, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  3. Karl Villareal

Karl Villareal Active Member

here's my bi-hoo. it was like 2 years in the nursery and i felt like it needed a rescue

Attached Files:

maf, Xi-feng, D97x7 and 2 others like this.
  4. AlainK

Well done !

Karl Villareal likes this.
  5. Karl Villareal

thanks

6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

A lovely specimen Karl. I do struggle with mine that gets smaller every year, Lol. Wonderful to see a good one.

D

7. Karl Villareal

thanks D.

say...what is that cultivar on your profile pic? i bet everyone has asked that question.

8. Acerholic

They have Karl lol. But I don't mind answering again, it's Grandma ghost in Autumn.

D

Karl Villareal likes this.
  9. maf

Photo from this afternoon. Current year twigs a good, strong orange, older stems yellow all the way down to the base on a ten year old tree. No signs of twig or stem blackening.
    IMG_20220107_173722.jpg

10. AlainK

Looks pretty much like mine...

maf likes this.
  11. Acerholic

So healthy M. You have one if the good ones!!!

D

maf likes this.
  12. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Haven't managed to get 'Bi hoo' out of the wet, so I took some pictures of it. Now in a 35l pot, the plant is still recovering from almost dying while in the ground. I bought this as a little graft from Dick van der Maat in 2011 (probably a 2 yr graft, though I didn't record the information.) It was planted in Spring 2014 at a 12l size, but in Spring 2016 it froze really badly. There was only a 2mm strip connecting the top to the understock. I pulled it out, stuck it in a pot, treated and forgot about it. A couple of years later it was thriving, and the wound was slowly healing. As you can see, 6 years later it is still not entirely healed. I'm waiting for it to fill in before putting it back in the ground.

20220109_164549_v1.jpg 20220109_164626_v1.jpg 20220109_164640_v1.jpg 20220109_164650_v1.jpg 20220109_164728_v1.jpg

There's a picture of the whole tree, the base starting to turn brown with age -- which will be a relief! -- a typical bit of gall along a branch, the base (nearly healed!, and the main wood. I had a hard time getting the color to come out, it is a bit showier than seen here.

Now I have to lug the thing out of the rain, and put those hydechiums in too. -E

AlainK, Acerholic, maf and 1 other person like this.
  13. Acerholic

Good morning E and a happy new year to you. Tbh I struggle with this cultivar. Mine gets smaller every year due to die back. It started off as a 12ft tree and is now 6ft at best. I wish you good luck.

D

14. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

best show of this maple is with snow!! (pics some years ag0) the expo of mine is mid shade on a very little hill .(clay soil)

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

Perfect !!

16. Acerholic

3rd April 2022 and it's still with me, but getting smaller each year ....
    Bi hoo April 2022.JPG

17. AlainK

True colours :

acerp-bihoo_220404a.jpg

18. stg

stg Member

My problem child. Isolated and undergoing tlc. I was hoping it was Pseudomonas syringae but the internal cut shown makes me believe it could be verticillium wilt.

12D27E44-756D-4D43-AA77-796511F3C316.jpeg F180FE65-A7C0-4262-BEC3-BCB013A07E88.jpeg B74B7CD1-9FBE-4DCA-92FE-F02344D06334.jpeg

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  19. Acerholic

I think its everyone's problem child @stg Mine gets smaller every year. Nearly a dwarf maple now.

stg likes this.
  20. AlainK

I just "slip-potted" it this afternoon. Surpisingly, the rootball was not "crammed" and there were very few dead twigs.

Good rootstock ?...

21. maf

Mine similarly is a very healthy maple. I repotted it last spring and it grew much through the year, fairly soft growth but still no dieback. I have owned it since 2013, so it is at least 10 or 11 years old and I have been waiting since the first day I bought it for it to start black deathing on me... not happening yet...

Maybe we are just lucky @AlainK, and have received plants that are not contaminated, or maybe there is something in our cultural practices that prevents the pathogens taking hold.

In any case it really seems like a lottery maple - some you win and some you lose!

AlainK likes this.
  22. AlainK

I wish it is the case... ;°)

But seriously now, it's hard to say.

maf likes this.
  23. Acerholic

Definitely a buyer beware maple !! But possibly a bit like Taylor, as you say M some you win some you lose.

maf likes this.
  24. Acerholic

27th May 2022 and my ever shrinking Bi hoo has made some good growth this Spring. I'm still pondering on this tree !!
    Bi hoo 27th May 2022.JPG

Karl Villareal, Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  25. Acerholic

18th June 2022 and some new leaves on the ever shrinking Bi hoo. Tbh I hope it slows down nicely before September. Maybe not so much die back then.
    Bi hoo 18th June 2022.JPG

Karl Villareal, Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.