Also have leaves dropping off Holly Tree

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by CharComm, Feb 4, 2019.

1. CharComm

CharComm New Member

Similar to Lovely Lily, our tree is doing the same. [Moderator note: the reference is to HOLLY TREE LEAF DROP....]
    The tree is well established and has only been doing this for the past few years, but this year we are looking at over 2/3 of the leaves dropping off - green, not browning. The tree was in relatively good shape at Christmas, as neighbours cut a few branches for Christmas decor.
    Reviewing your comments to Lily, it is in natural soil, getting some garden watering vs root watering in the summer and there are no new concrete issues. Cedar hedging nearby is not suffering for low water.
    It was originally placed alongside an underground stream - but not clear on how that is flowing now, with development, etc in the area.
    The only thing I can think of where there has been change in environment is I have now planted in that corner, where previously it had only overgrown ground covering.

I have included a picture of the tree, and the ground area around it today. Thank you in advance for your thoughts on this.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2019
  2. Kate C

Kate C New Member

It is a couple of years since this post but I would like to know how your holly is fairing. Ours seems to lose it leaves when a swarm of sparrows come every late fall and winter and start eating the berries. I am wondering if they are knocking the leaves off.Lots of berries falling as well. It is a very large holly tree in Victoria. Thanks.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

4. Kate C

Kate C New Member

Thank you Ron. I will take a close look at the leaves and branches.