Critters in my garden

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

We seem to have a resident tree frog (at least that's what I think it is) playing around on one of the trumpet vines. By the time I got the camera, it had jumped off the leaves and on to the crate. I'll see if I can get a better photo next time I see it.

IMG_6112.JPG IMG_6113.JPG

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I had no idea tree frogs (Pseudacris regilla) lived in central BC as well as here on the coast. But yours is the spitting image of his cousin Reggie (regilla?) at my place who likes to hang out next to the mason bee condo.

Finding these guys is like the 'Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval' in my mind . . . proof that the environment here is, in a sense, clean and free of toxins and contaminants that would kill these sweet little critters.

Tree frog hideout.JPG

3. Keith Elliott

I'm with you on this one Margot. I always thought they liked the cooler, moister climate. I'm going to see if I can catch a photo when he/she is back up on the trumpet leaves again. The trumpet gets lots of water every day, and all four of the trumpets seem to be doing well, except for a lack of blooms. They reside under the cover of the east deck, which is about as cool as it gets here.

[rachael] likes this.
  4. [rachael]

[rachael] New Member

Cute! This is the frog that hangs out in my community garden plot. My 9 year old named it "Bill Johnson."

Attached Files:

5. Keith Elliott

Had a return visit from our little frog friend.

IMG-8230.jpg IMG-8231.jpg IMG-8233.jpg IMG-8236.jpg

6. Margot

Your 'Bill Johnson' looks a little sun-scorched - otherwise fat and healthy.

7. [rachael]

[rachael] New Member

That picture was taken during the recent heatwave, so it very well could have been a bit scorched at the time. Or perhaps changed its colour/appearance to camouflage better. I looked up some info on them today and read that they can change their colour according to temperature and humidity to blend in better.

Keith Elliott likes this.
  8. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    1 & 2 a regular visitor — Great Blue Héron — this was during that incredible heat so I think it was opening its wings to cool off (a couple of nearby neighbors have lovely swim pools ... and the ocean is right there too.)

Small birds include Swainsons Thrush (beautiful flute-like call, right now in fact)

And yesterday the Grosbeaks (also a Robin-like melody song) were having a
    joyful time eating red elderberries

3. Out in Roberts Creek —bobcat - not my garden tho’ Mr Foster Kitty (domestic cat) in our garden does his similar rodent harvesting -

Thankfully - and it is one of my concerns - Foster kitty rarely looks at birds.

4. Thé usual garden pruner service comes by —- I leave a pan of clean water for them to drink.

5. A golden jewel beetle

6. We have raccoons (trash pandas) which are a darn nuisance and I would gladly not have them near me - we don’t find them cute. They are messy and destructive

7. Usually bears wander thru but none recently that I have seen nor have I seen their fruit pit evidence (scat)

Attached Files:

9. Margot

Those herons sure do look hot!

I could use a foster kitty - just a few minutes ago, my husband saw something small and furry run through the garden. It's okay though, I'm sure there's only one. :-(

We're so lucky to have a garden pruner service too - 2 spotty little trainees getting in lately, happy to volunteer their services. (Luckily, they avoid anything sprayed with Bobbex.)

I see evidence of raccoons from time to time but no actual sightings for quite a while.

That beetle is beautiful - hope it's beneficial; too pretty to squish.

10. Georgia Strait

Your little fawns Sound cute —— the young adults here like thimbleberry leaves which is fine w me (a wild leafy shrub with fruit like raspberries)

Thé beetle is apparently a « borer » and is listed on pest control company websites for what it’s worth

I tend to take things for a car ride and leave them under a tree somewhere ! I know.

I know it’s seen in Okanagan too

Buprestis aurulenta - Wikipedia

11. Keith Elliott

I was coming inside yesterday afternoon from doing my watering duties, when I spotted this little guy just outside the back door. I think we may have seen a few of these four or five years ago, but no photos then of course.

IMG_7194.JPG IMG_7195.JPG

Margot likes this.
  12. Georgia Strait

I wonder which lizard is living with you

A “western skink?”

This is interesting how it can remove its tail as a défense distraction

Reptiles of BC : - Western Skink

13. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Margot and Keith Elliott like this.
  14. Keith Elliott

You know vitog, I looked up images for the alligator lizard, and there seems to be dozens of different ones. I rather imagine that the appearance of these guys is probably associated with the area that they are living in. There was a fairly long article accompanying some of the photos and it's actually difficult to match up our guy with any specific photo. If I see it again, I will try to get several close up photos and maybe we can narrow it down that way. The same applies to the skinks, there's a wide variety of them.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  15. Nik

Nik Contributor

I could not resist posting these pictures that I just took with my phone from inside the house.

Attached Files:

16. Margot

Those are beautiful photos, Nik! What type of deer are they? Their spots are much more vivid than we see here on the Columbia Black-tailed Deer. Twins were born just outside our fence at the beginning of June - my photo was taken soon after. They have been getting into my garden constantly since but my Bobbex spray deters them from eating pretty much everything except ivy which I don't spray. We rescued one a few days ago when he got caught between the fence and wood stacked a few inches alongside. Very dramatic.

Then, yesterday, a neighbour reported seeing 2 dead fawns not far from us and I suspect it is the twins because I haven't seen them lately.

Oh, oh - stop the press! My husband just came back to the house to say they're in the garden again.

New born fawn 06-2021.jpg

Nik, Acerholic and Keith Elliott like this.
  17. Nik

Nik Contributor

Whitetail deer. This one is a bit lighter than the usual, even compared to its twin. In the blurry picture from one of the Nest cameras below, the one on the left is the one in the previous pictures and on the right is its typically colored twin (the spots are slightly smaller and the overall coat is darker brown.
    Deer are so graceful, and I like watching them, but I don’t like the damage they cause to plants I try to introduce into the yard. Even native species like the cardinal flower which I will post next.

Attached Files:

Margot likes this.
  18. Nik

Nik Contributor

I use Lobelia cardinalis as a natural hummingbird feeder. I found it growing in the yard along the stream and I tried to place plants I propagated from its seeds into multiple locations, only to be consumed by deer. The only ones doing well are in a pot strategically placed in front of the French doors of our living room. This allows us to enjoy the hummingbirds up close. The plant is a magnet for them and they are often fighting for it. Hummingbirds are the main pollinator.
    First three photos are pictures of the plant (second year seedlings, the largest ones are about 2 meters tall now) from outside and inside the house, plus a close up.
    The rest are screenshots from a video I took with my phone through the glass. That’s the reason for the blurry quality, and of course they are super fast.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  19. Nik

Nik Contributor

One more critter that likes the cardinal flower. As a hiding spot. It’s only about 2 cm long.

Attached Files:

20. Nik

Nik Contributor

Two hens and nine chicks, almost fully grown now, are visiting our yard every day.

Attached Files:

Margot likes this.
  21. Nik

Nik Contributor

One more turkeys photo from about a week ago, taken from our screened porch during rain.
    Bath time for them..

Attached Files:

22. Nik

Nik Contributor

An interaction captured on our wildlife camera at the side deck, next to my Cymbidiums bench about two weeks ago. The opossum did not want to have anything to do with the twins and their mother. Screenshots from the videos.

Attached Files:

23. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I read that hummingbirds only live about 5 years and that the biggest cause of death is disease and weather. And with the temperatures expected to reach as low as -14C here on the south coast I thought I'd give our local hummers a fighting chance....I placed a 100watt spotlight above the feeder to keep the nectar from freezing. Not only does it work but we seem to have more hummers than usual.

IMG_7680 (2).JPG

24. Georgia Strait

Oh my goodness I am outside wrapped up enjoying snowflakes here at the beach

and there is a hummer trying to shelter

i suppose it’s nature

wkere do these Anna’s (which I assume they are ) rest in any season

i make my own pneumonic —-
    Anna’s = annual
    Rufuos (my typing thumbs cold) = return & repeat

our neighbor is trying his best to keep thawed hummer feeders

i wonder how the Anna’s became « naturalized » Canadians —- I certainly do not recall 50 yr ago either in Oregon or Bc west of coast / cascades (mt hood)

25. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

I'd be curious to see it fly. Of the two kinds of Northern Flicker, Yellow Shafted and Red Shafted. The ones we see in the Yukon are mostly Yellow Shafted. They are making our guest cabin and my shop look like they've got acne with their drilling and my filling.

Georgia Strait likes this.