Tsuga mertensiana 'Glacier Peak'

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers) Photo Gallery' started by Worldly_Wrangler, Dec 4, 2021.

1. Worldly_Wrangler

Worldly_Wrangler Active Member

Tsuga mertensiana 'Glacier Peak' is a relatively fast growing, irregular upright selection of Mountain hemlock with short, stout branches and attractive grayish Blue needles, densely radiating about the stems. According to Iseli nursery, the general effect in the garden is a rugged, yet tufty appearance. After 10 years of growth, a mature specimen will measure 10 feet (3 m) tall and 8 feet (2.5 m) wide, an annual growth rate of 6 to 8 inches (15 - 20 cm).

This cultivar originated as a seedling selected by Iseli nursery of Boring, Oregon, who named it in honor of the glacier-capped Cascade mountains of Washington and Oregon.

Planted in March 2021. Picture taken December 2021.

Attached Files:

Kurt Schneider likes this.
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Don't know what they had in mind but there is a specific individual mountain called Glacier Peak.

3. Worldly_Wrangler

Worldly_Wrangler Active Member

Ashamedly , I didn’t know of Glacier Peak’s or the mountain hemlock’s existence until last year. I’ve lived a total of 29 years in Washington state.

Glad I have this beautiful tree now to remind me to think outside of my own little world.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The Iseli site actually does not say anything more (about the history of the cultivar) than "Iseli introduction" and "seedling selection". Except for the implication of the phrase "seedling selection" being that it appeared in a batch of seedlings raised at Iseli a body might think it came from Glacier Peak.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

They should name all their cultivars after their home community ツ