Lewisia cotyledon - how deep in soil?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Georgia Strait, Nov 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I think we spoke (typed) of this lovely well-behaved rockery plant that does well at coastal BC (out of the rain)

probably in virtual garden tour thread started by @Margot

i have attached a photo of the 5 plants I keep in a well-drained soil in a bowl out of the rain

the bowl is approx 13 inch diam

i use a bowl because our shade garden is far too cold and wet (especially now)

QUESTION - over approx 3 yr the stem beneath leaves has « grown » taller (see photo - the light color part beneath leaves)

at least 2 inches visible

It blooms just fine so far - very pretty and long-standing

So do I let it continue like this tall stem —- or do I plant it up to the base of the leaves?

i think Margot has same plant in a rockery?

i am curious what you suggest

i wouldn’t normally fuss w a rockery plant but these ones are $ more expensive than the sempervivums i am casual with in terms of planting more and more and rearranging them (they « hatch » freely!)

ÉDIT - i forgot thé photo attachment

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, you can plant it up to the base of the leaves -- but even in better draining soil than what you have (higher gravel mix). I've seen these grow in unstable nearly-pure gravel slopes without problem.

Also, if you are plucking off the dead leaves -- you maybe don't want to. It'll trigger the plant to produce offshoots and then you'll get multiple stems. I did this without knowing, and now I have a bit of a mess...but I don't really have the equipment to do the necessary carving apart of the plants and the offshoots into more pots.

Skipleyfarm likes this.
  3. Georgia Strait

Super thank you

i will do as you suggest

i have some cactus mix from a citizen science experiment (lay the round « areoles » flat and it sprouts roots from the underside )

no i have not tidied up any leaves —- haha I would rather think about it than actually do it :)

so now I have crossed it off my « thinking about » list :)

4. Georgia Strait

Hère are some photos to go with prev post

i think I need to buy one more PINK to fill in gap between white plants x 2

can I DIVIDE these?

i think that because they are in range of 10$ each for 4 inch pot, i will not experiment

And speaking of experiment — this was what I tried with expert neighbor guidance earlier this year — a sprouting cactus — that areole (?) is approx 4 inch long and just slightly less wide.

i Forget which one it is — it lives outside in dry spot (in a pot) on summer and goes in to sunroom in winter at the coast here.

Attached Files:

5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I have only a few Lewisia cotyledon plants, one in a pot and the others in the ground. The potted one (pictures attached) has bloomed almost continuously year-round - until this summer that is. It was getting pretty gangly so I cut off the top of one stem and rooted it in a new pot. I had hoped the remaining stem might sprout new shoots but it just rotted.

From my own limited experience, I would say that L. cotyledon can thrive in full sun and heavy rain as long as it has excellent drainage. It does need occasional summer watering.

You don't often find plants as tough and beautiful as lewisias.
    Lewisia cotyledon from Margot's garden . . . never quits blooming.jpg Lewisia cotyledon January 1, 2021.JPG Lewisia cotyledon and son 11-2021.JPG

Georgia Strait likes this.
  6. Skipleyfarm

Skipleyfarm New Member

Just joined. 1st post. I love my 10 year old L. c. Same tall 12" deep x 5" glazed pot in 90% pumice. Minimal fertilizer.
    On another note My birthday hike in Peshastin area in E. Wash. gifted me with Lewisia tweedy -siting first time ever (47 years hiking in Washington) What a marvel.
    20210502_161409.jpg 20210502_161339.jpg 20210502_161852.jpg 20210502_150407.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2021
  7. Margot

Welcome to the Forums, @Skipleyfarm. How wonderful for you to see a Lewisia tweedyi growing in the wild! That is my favourite Lewisia species and favourite colour among them. After losing 2 in recent years to winter rain / inadequate drainage, I managed to germinate 16 this spring. Hopefully at least one of them is that lovely peach; not that the pink and yellow and white ones aren't also beautiful.

I just took a look at your website and am astonished by everything you have going on there. Quite remarkable!

Lewisia tweedyi plants 2021.JPG

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Haven't been there in years but when I visited the Chase Garden in Orting, Washington State there was a ribbon of Lewisia cotyledon hybrids thriving under an overhang along one side of the house. Where these liked the rain protection provided by that situation so much they were reseeding.

Lewisiopsis tweedyi is characteristic of areas where abundant snowfalls are the principal annual precipitation source in nature. In addition to which it is often seen on slopes, among or on rocks. It is easily spotted from the highway during its May flowering time in the Tumwater Canyon Botanical Area near Leavenworth in Washington State. The canyon is a location where a forest fire significantly reduced the tree cover awhile back, making ground vegetation more visible.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  9. Margot

Yes, I had forgotten that name change. (I tend to ignore things I don't like - including all the name-changing.) Thank you for the idea of planting these Lewisias under an overhang . . .
    I think I have a perfect spot under a south-facing deck where there are the remnants of a rock wall. Pentagramma triangularis (Goldenback Fern) grows there naturally - should be a nice combination.
    Pentagramma triangularis 15-01-2021.JPG

Georgia Strait likes this.
  10. Georgia Strait

Hello and welcome @Skipleyfarm

what a wonderful way to celebrate your birthday — take a hike (so to speak)

i am familiar with that part of WA State
    And have never seen to my memory that Lewisia
    Lewisia tweedyi | Tweedy's Lewisia | Wildflowers of the Pacific Northwest

I like the balsamroot yellow flower in your photo (ponderosa pines too)

A few hours up from Wenatchee via Hwy 97 in our part of Okanagan (yes we spell it differently by one letter) near Penticton, we often see “bitterroot” in gravel rocky dry outcrops along the old Kettle Valley rail trail - basically, bitterroot and rattlesnake dens in same spot - we are used to it and appreciate it (tho I still have base brain instinct)

here is an interesting article about First Nation use of bitterroot through the long Okanagan (Okanogan) Valley

I am fascinated by food history so I subscribe to the food blog.

Okanagan Bitterroot - The British Columbia Food History Network