Acer palmatum 'Pink Passion'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by D97x7, Jun 16, 2011.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

... Apparently not. From the same website, 'Shirazz' :

"Appelé a tort pink passion ou gwen’s rose delight dans la grande distribution."
    ""Wrongly called pink passion or gwen's rose delight in the mass market."

So the two are apparently different cultivars.

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

This is an old thread, and an old argument! :)

I learned that 'Gwen's Rose Delight' is the _cultivar_ name but 'Shirazz' is the _trademark_ name. They are the same maple. So when referring to the cultivar, the correct name would be 'Gwen's Rose Delight'. I've certainly never seen this name in the mass market, where 'Shirazz' is omnipresent.

The MS database lists GRD as a synonym for Shirazz, without a listed authority, and I believe incorrectly.

According to the same database, 'Pink Passion' is a separate cultivar, the authority attributed to van Gelderen.

Acerholic, LoverOfMaples, maf and 2 others like this.
  3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, as stated in the first page of this thread, it seems likely that very similar reversions of 'Geisha' have been discovered and named on three separate occasions. 'Gwen's Rose Delight' (AKA Shirazz TM) was discovered in New Zealand and patented. The people who bought the rights obviously didn't like the name as they decided to market it under the "Shirazz" trademark. A coincidental selection of a very, very similar, if not identical, reversion in North America led to the introduction of the cultivar 'Geisha Gone Wild' which is free of patent royalty fees. Presumably 'Pink Passion' was the coincidental European discovery of a patent free version of a very similar reversion.

One thing made me laugh in the description of 'Pink Passion' at a UK gardening web seller: