When do I turn on the Barry Manilow?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Bibbity, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Bibbity

Bibbity New Member

Hello!

I'm a totally inexperienced gardener with meyer lemon and key lime trees in a container. I've got blossoms forming and the first one has opened up. I know that as an indoor plant, I will need to help with the pollination, but when does this happen?

I've seen flowers with the powdery look where you can see the actual pollen, will my lemon blossom change and look that way as my cue? Or should I give it a little attention with the paint brush each day to be on the safe side?

Also, I need to repot the tree at some point, and I was hoping to wait until the spring -- when I got it, it was an impulse and I was a bad plant parent who threw it in some regular gardening soil and moved on with my life. I now realize that its holding too much moisture because of it. I was hoping I Could wait until the spring, and then change the soil up, but if I do get fruit forming, will this be worse?

Thank you!

2. Will B

Will B Active Member

Most citrus do not need pollination. In fact, some growers much prefer without as the fruit is then often seedless. If you would like to pollinate that is normally fine, but you may get seedy fruit when not expecting it. I would not be too concerned about the soil moisture retention capabilities unless there are drainage issues with the pot. Whichever soil you use must be able to drain, so be sure there are holes in the pot and the drained water flows away or gets removed. Allow it to get fairly dry between waterings. Do not be in a hurry to repot as citrus do seem to respond well to being somewhat root bound.

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
  4. Will B

Will B Active Member

It does seem to be about the same plants, but a quite different question about a different issue...

Georgia Strait likes this.
  5. Bibbity

Bibbity New Member

Thank you for replying! So. If I don’t help fertilize it’ll still just do it’s thing? That’s great. I will leave it be then. There’s so much conflicting information online!

that’s fascinating about the seeds. I will google that as that’s super interesting (I’m curious on why that happens! )

In regards to the pot, I unfortunately picked one that has a built in tray. Kind of looks like these (but a different size)

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/so...ith-saucer-6-inch-assorted-colours/1001586815

I realize now I should have gone for something where I can see the tray and if there’s water collecting and maybe something I can bottom water with. For now I’m just trying to learn how much water I can give and to make sure it’s dry when I water next. I last watered on the 1st and it still feels moist to me. So waiting still. It does have a few fungus gnats so trying to see what I can find to deal with (sadly I wanted to try nematodes but couldn’t find any locally).

Thanks again!

6. Bibbity

Bibbity New Member

thats the same trees! New questions though. I hope that’s ok! If not just let me know. I’m just in love with this tree. Hopefully I won’t kill it with love though, I can’t stop fussing lol.

7. Will B

Will B Active Member

Unfortunately that is a bad sign. Fungus gnats are a sign it has been too moist for too long. Definitely let it get dryer between waterings. If it has a built-in tray be sure to tip it after watering to ensure water does not sit there for long...

8. Georgia Strait

of course it’s ok — I think it’s great that you’re curious about plants and gardening
    And have found this friendly UBC FORUM

i trust what Will B says in replies — if my memory serves correctly — have a look at their profile and find old threads where they have posted photos of their greenhouse orange grove — very interesting

9. Georgia Strait