Bearss Lime 2021 Harvest

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by leapfrog, Oct 29, 2021.

1. leapfrog

leapfrog Active Member 10 Years

Aug 22 2021.jpg Oct 29 2021 1.jpg Oct 29 2021 2.jpg

For the first time, we have a sizable fall crop of Persian limes. There are about 75 limes this year, most of which have now been harvested.

While the largest limes are still a bit smaller than what you'd find in the grocery store, we've squeezed about 800 ml of juice from the 55 we've picked to date, which will yield about a litre of juice from this year's crop.

Nothing like mixing a drink from limes just harvested off your tree in the PNW!

Margot, Junglekeeper and Mona McRae like this.
  2. Will B

Will B Active Member

Good stuff! If you get more than you can use right away I recommend freezing the juice in ice cube trays and then storing them in the freezer in ziplock bags. Works well for us and tastest great this way even after a long freeze. This way we enjoy citrus juices year round...

3. leapfrog

Thanks for the tip, Will.

I found some more limes that were well hidden, bringing the total harvest up to 96 limes. I've already juiced and consumed about half of them, but I'll definitely freeze the juice in ice cube trays to make sure I can enjoy them well into 2022.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

5. leapfrog

Yes, and in the ground.

Of course in my climate zone (8a) winter protection is required. See the thread on this subject from last year:

In-ground Bearss Lime in South Surrey

I start monitoring the long range weather forecast in late October for the first date that we are expected to get down to the freezing point. Usually it's in first or second week of November. This year it looks like we'll be OK till at least Nov 11. The winter protection comes off in late winter/early spring, usually the end of February or early March.

wcutler likes this.