Monkey Puzzle Tree Trouble (pics)

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by corsierosie, Oct 27, 2021.

1. corsierosie

corsierosie Member

This was a happy little monkey puzzle tree until about 2 months ago. It was in the plastic container that it was purchased in and it had twine all around the base. We transplanted it last week. It is still turning brown though. Is there anything we can do for it? It’s been soaked with all the rain during the last few weeks. The new larger pot does have good drainage. We put dirt from our compost in with it. Thanks for any advice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

As long as it is only the weak lowest branches browning off, you're OK. Start worrying if the top ring of branches go brown.

Did you remove all the twine etc., before planting out?

3. corsierosie

corsierosie Member

Yes we did remove all the twine and burlap that was around the root base. The roots were growing out of the plastic container so some of them did get damaged when we transplanted it. I would have taken more care with the roots but the nature of the tree does not make it easy! My Dad seems to think it will be fine. But I’m a little concerned about the brown that has spread to the middle layer branches. I wheeled it out of the rain today to keep it from rotting. We’ve had a very wet 24 hours. I will wait and see! Thank you for the reply!