container growing and limiting root growth

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Otto Bjornson, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Contributor

Just a visual of our seiryu which has been container grown its entire life. The old fall color from a gardening magazine ( when BC gardener magazine? came out and did a photo shoot). The tree was 16 years old back then in 1997. Back then I had potted it into a 2' x 2' x 2' cedar box. Fast forward to 2021 and now the tree just turned 40 yrs. old and it is now in an 18" x 18" x 16" deep cedar box. Scaled back in size quite a bit, trimmed the roots with my pruning saw in dormant period. Tree is thriving and have included this years spring and yesterdays epic fall showing!

We have root pruned many large container specimens over the years for many clients and of course pretty much all of our mature specimens.

Attached Files:

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    That is stunning!
    I miss that old magazine — I have a couple of worn copies that I still look at ... even the old adverts. It was the beginning of the popular version of gardening - yet before proliferation of internet and cell phones

Off topic ... may I ask the name of your patio paving stones - they look really nice

Otto Bjornson likes this.
  3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I meant to add above — I like comparison photos (then now) and I find it interesting to view which branches you kept and others gone to compost? Or can you graft them? Forgive my lack of awareness about how grafts are made.

4. Otto Bjornson

Regarding the pruning / cutting, all of those branches would be compost. Scion wood is best used from much younger trees as then there is more rapid growth with the young shoots. I did a 4 part series video on grafting and I believe video #3 is about cutting suitable grafting material.

The paving stones - we purchased from Abbotsford concrete, they make them there and it was some sort of rustic color name?? It was back in 2012 when we built that veranda.

5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Is the video available somewhere we could watch it?

Georgia Strait likes this.
  6. Otto Bjornson

It would be video #3 from my grafting playlist video's