Scarification and cold stratification

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by parry willis, Oct 9, 2021.

1. parry willis

parry willis New Member

Relatively new to this germination and growing scene. I’ve been utilizing google as much as I can, but some of the information can be vague and difficult to understand fully.
    As the title of this post states, I am looking for information on how to properly go about scarifying and/or cold stratifying. I find human interaction helps with the learning process, which is why I’m here. That being said, I’d be happy to list off the seeds I have that require one or the other of these process but I’ll hold off until someone takes interest. Thank you for your time in advance.

parry

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The following document appears to provide a good summary of the various techniques used in breaking seed dormancy: Treatments to Overcome Seed Dormancy. I suppose the details would depend on the seed in question.

parry willis likes this.
  3. parry willis

parry willis New Member

to specify aforementioned seeds. Baobab tree and dragons blood tree (Dracaena cinnabari)

4. parry willis

parry willis New Member

Also, thank you for taking the time to reply and share the info. I appreciate it.

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I suspect almost all (all?) seeds from tropical-growing plants will not need to go through cold stratification.

parry willis likes this.
  7. parry willis

parry willis New Member

Small update with picture enclosed. I soaked two Baobab seeds for two days after scarifying them. Which, I don’t see any damage to the seedling itself, so beginners luck there. Both show signs of leaf and root structure beginning to form as I’ve read will be visible during this stage. I haven’t gotten a chance to try the dragons blood tree yet as I’ve run into a few obstacles regarding medium and a heat mat.

Attached Files: