Hosta Planting Bags/Spin-out Root Control Bags ?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by dt-van, May 11, 2020.

1. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

I saw a post elsewhere about these bags, and/or fabric which apparently "protects your plants from invasive tree roots...The SpinOut coating stops roots on contact and the geotextile allows air and water permeability." Sounds great and I have a couple of sites under a maple and a pine tree where the soil is a felted mass and the existing perennials are showing signs of declining. I'm wondering if chopping out a hole and lining it with one of these bags and replanting them might give them a chance of thriving instead of just surviving.
    Has anyone ever used this stuff? Does it work? Is the coating toxic for the tree or surrounding plants?
    Are they available in BC, or by mail order in Canada?

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    A google search suggests that the distributor is discontinuing this product
    Tex-R Agroliner Spinout Root Control Bags - Wildrose Distributing

How about you put some nice weather / all season durable pots in an appealing design arrangement in that garden bed ...

A nice focal point as discussed on one of your other recent posts

I would image the tree roots are hard to dig in ... and could be upsetting to the owner of the roots (the tree, obviously :)

3. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

I recognize this is a bit of an old thread, but here's a link to a US based supplier: Hostaplantingbags.