Recommendation prior to japanese maple purchase-- ball & burlap vs root pouch

Discussion in 'Maples' started by james vee, Sep 21, 2021.

1. james vee

james vee New Member

Just as the title says, I am about to purchase 2 japanese maples. I have found the cultivar I am interested in locally available as a ball and burlap tree- listed as 60" in size. Not sure how large of a tree that is. I hope to see them in person later this week. I have also found the cultivar available from an online retailer as a field grown tree in a root pouch container. This tree was said to be between 4 and 5 ft or 1 1/4 diameter minimum.

I am in the northeast and will be planting the trees about 1 1/2-2 months prior to ground freeze if that matters.

I'm just looking for the opinions of the professionals here on which tree they would more prefer to purchase and plant if given the option.

Thank you very much in advance!

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I don't know about "professionals", but IMO a local tree will almost always be preferable. It will be acclimated to your area. An internet tree is likely to come from Oregon or someplace warmer, and you may have bark problems as a result. I would look at the local tree to make sure it's not too willowy at 5 ft.

maf likes this.
  3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

@emery 's advice above is spot on, with that size of tree you are better off buying locally. (Edit: for any size really, but especially for larger sizes)

If I had a choice between buying root pouch and b&b, and they were both local, I would be more inclined to go for the pouch but even then I would look at the trees and choose based on health, branch structure, desired shape etc. The pouch would only be the deciding factor if all other metrics were equally balanced between the trees.

4. james vee

james vee New Member

Great information! Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you both very much

5. MoRamez

MoRamez Member

Hi,
    Do we have Japanese Maple with Blue leaves? If yes where can I found this tree in Vancouver for sale?

6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Not that I know of.
    I once saw a picture of a blue-leaved maple taken from E-Bay : that was a scam.

maf likes this.