Malabar spinach

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by vicarious1, Sep 22, 2021.

1. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Hello we have discovered the vine malabar spinach. Now I am trying to collect seeds for next season. I saw online that the black balls are the seeds. But the birds like to eat them.
    So I collected a few. The colour is very intense note strong than red beats to get off the finger. They are very fragile, more like a berry than a seed.
    I put them in a dish trying to dry then by the South facing window.
    Is that the correct way to get the seeds?
    Thank you. Have a nice day.
    Vic

Attached Files:

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

3. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Thank's a lot I have followed your advice and now have like 2 soup spoon full of dried seeds (by the window). How do I keep them best till spring?
    Do you know if they would grow indoors by a south facing window in winter?
    LOOOVE the colour of the juice on my fingers not so much.
    Wanted to dye an old white tank top. It looked cool only to find out after 12 hours that it's polyester and not Cotton. Thank you Walt Disney for cheating me 20 years ago with a 100% cotton label.
    After washing with a mix of water and vinegar it came out as white as it was before.
    I took pics the colour is awesome I got to try again. Some seeds still growing on the vine.

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Here's one interesting article on drying and saving Malabar spinach seeds overwinter. There's also a bit about using them as an edible dye.
    7 Things to Know About Saving Malabar Spinach Seeds

You can find lots more if you search 'saving Malabar spinach seeds' or words to that effect. It sounds like many people like to grow this vine for a variety of reasons.
    Good luck!