embarasse de quelque chose

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by soccerdad, Sep 9, 2021.

1. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

If I grow something from seed I am unduly loathe to get rid of it. So it is with Francoa which has only one short-lived and rather inconspicuous flower per plant and hence , in Steve Whysall's phrase, "does not pay its rent". I have finally decided to consign it to the compost. But I hate to do so if someone else wants it. I would post that I have it available but I don't think I have ever seen such a post here. The moderators can surely advise...

2. soccerdad

The response has not quite been deafening so tomorrow they go to the compost bin.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I don't have a garden, so am not your target audience. But maybe your anti-hype had something to do with the response, or the description on my first browser hit of the "toilet-brush blooms of minute ... flowers". :)

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Well, I should be fair to this plant - it has a common name of bridalwreath or bridal wreath, according to Garden Explorer | UBC Botanical Garden, depending which species you have (or had). Here's a photo on Wikipedia from UBCBG:
    Francoa sonchifolia form - Francoaceae - Wikipedia
    It gave its name to the family Francoaceae. I always give a plant extra points for that. Is there a word for the genus that the family is named for?
    I was surprised to see that one of my favourite plants, Melianthus major, is in that family.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  5. soccerdad

There are about 5 flowers per square foot and they are indeed minute. I think you'd need a garden to get enough to make a wreath. Too bad, since daughter #3 is planning to get married next summer but she'll have to be content with marigolds or perhaps dandelions.

wcutler likes this.