Acer palmatum 'Musashino'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Acerholic, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This is my Acer palmatum 'Musashino'. It is a very young tree, only 3 years old.
    I chose it for it's very dark reds throughout the year.
    It is placed in a position to get sun most of the day in my garden.

Photos are from Spring to August 2nd 2020. You can see the colour change towards green even though I give it plenty of sun.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

11th August 2020 and the heatwave continues, trying to update as many as I can as requested, even if they are not looking too good. Important to do this I feel.
    A few marks, but holding up quite well for a small tree.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

20th August 2020 and after days of rain after a heatwave, everything is picking up again. Severe storms coming tomorrow, so I hope I can batten down the hatches so to speak and protect my trees.
    Have been worried about this one all Summer, but new shoots appearing at last. I might have to give it some protection in October/November from early frosts to protect the late new growth this year.
    I will update on the new growth progress.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

28th August 2020 and the ground is incredibly wet for the time of year. Just had more hail stones and my maples that are heavy in leaf do not like it one bit.
    Now doing very well at last, but it has taken all Summer. Survived the hail stones thankfully!!!

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

8th September 2020 and the heat is returning, but very cloudy. My maples will enjoy this as long as there is no more new growth.
    I am so happy to be posting this today, wasn't sure about it, but it's now doing OK.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

A lot of PM's last night asking about many of my cultivars, so here this morning, 11th September 2020 is my Musashino. Not changing much at all but as requested, here it is.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

21st September 2020, the day before the Equinox and this will be my last for this year from my Musashino, possibly!!! I am lifting it this morning and moving it to a better position.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

30th September 2020 and I am posting this as I thought the leaves would drop after it was moved, but to my surprise here it is today.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

3rd October 2020 and my Musashino is still holding on surprisingly.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

17th October 2020 and I'm showing this because I really did not expect it to have leaves now.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

27th October 2020 and so much rain which made my Musashino look like it had a glaze, so thought I would post it.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

4th November 2020 and the first frost of this Autumn has arrived, so with the few left that have got leaves in my garden, here is my Musashino so covered in ice it doesn't seem possible its still holding on.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

It was lovely to chat to some new members on PM's the other day, one of the questions was, can I post more of my early Spring photos to show their progression ? So here goes on the 25th March 2021.
    Musashino 710.JPG

14. Acerholic

7th April 2021 and my darkest of all my maples; Musashino took a hit last night. -5° C.
    So I thought, let's post it and see over the coming days how it copes.
    Mushashino 182.JPG

15. Acerholic

14th April 2021 and tbh I just stared and stared at my Musashino this morning, even though I was very cold spraying my trees after the night frost, it did the trick in warming me.
    Musashino  189.JPG

16. Acerholic

27th April 2021 and the darkness begins.....
    Musashino 205.JPG

17. Acerholic

10th May 2021 and the darkest red of all my maples at this time of the year is my Musashino. This and Black lace of course.
    Musashino 222.JPG

18. Acerholic

28th May 2021 and my Musashino was lapping up the early sunshine a few minutes ago.
    Musashino 242.JPG

19. Acerholic

3rd July 2021 and my Musashino is well, inti it's dark Summer reds now.
    It can rival Nigrum IMO.
    Musashino 290.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  20. Acerholic

10th July 2021 and a very wet weekend here in Southern England, that my Musashino is really enjoying.
    Musashino 298.JPG

21. Acerholic

17th September 2021 and the early morning sun on leaves covered in dew was a treat this morning.
    Mushashino 400.JPG

D97x7 and AlainK like this.
  22. Acerholic

April 7th 2022 and one of my darker reds is underway for another year. I can't recommend this one enough if you want a deep dark red
    Musashino April rain 2022.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  23. Acerholic

16th May 2022 and it's taken a while,but the very dark leaves of my Musashino are here.
    Musashino 16th May 2022.JPG

24. Acerholic

29th May 2022, Musashino is a full sun maple. Don't hide this one in the shade, otherwise it will lose those deep reds.
    Musashino 29th May 2022.JPG Musashino 29th May 2022 (2).JPG

D97x7 and Xi-feng like this.
  25. Acerholic

13th July 2023 and over a year since I posted my Mushashino. So here it is, doing quite well this year. Not such dark leaves this year but still pretty IMO.
    PXL_20230713_080818346.jpg PXL_20230713_080845354.jpg