Broussonetia papyrifera

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by DonB, Oct 11, 2016.

1. DonB

DonB New Member

Can someone tell me if there is a Broussonetia papyrifera in the UBC Botanical Garden? And if there is one, please tell where it is. I think there used to be one near the pond. I looked for it today, but couldn't find it.

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

There is one at the front entrance. Just on your left right after the sidewalk gate. You would easily miss it if you drive in.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The one by the pond was cut down several years ago.

4. DonB

DonB New Member

Thank you Eric. I am going to have a look at it next time I am in the garden.

Daniel: Thanks for telling me what happened to the one I had seen by the pond.

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Here is the one Eric mentioned. I was going there today anyway, thought it would be easy to get the pic, but I was looking for something with a trunk and smaller leaves, had to get more specific instructions from Eric. Actually, it's right where he said it was, but I didn't pick up on it when I first looked.
    Broussonetia-papyrifera_UBCBG_Cutler_20161012_P1270760.JPG

6. DonB

DonB New Member

Thank you Wendy. The reason I want to see the paper mulberry in the Asian Garden is to compare it to a tree I saw I'm Memorial South Park. So, like you, I was looking for something with a trunk and smaller leaves, not this large-leaved bush! I haven't gone to have a look at it yet, but I will soon.

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ah, that photo was the cause for some confusion today. That's not Broussonetia papyrifera, but rather Firmiana simplex.

8. wcutler

Thanks! That location is not listed on Garden Explorer for Broussonetia papyrifera, but there is one listed on the street side of Upper Asian Way past the Moon Gate, I can't tell how far along, but definitely before you get to Wharton.

9. Daniel Mosquin

We did a review of the locations / accessions this morning. If Eric has time today, that one will be gone from Explorer, but one that had been inadvertently removed will be restored (along the fence line by the stream near the parking lot)

wcutler likes this.
  10. wcutler

Now there is nothing for Broussonetia on Garden Explorer. So that one along the fence is not there? Not that I understand where there is a stream with a fence near the parking lot.

11. Daniel Mosquin

There was some confusion about bed number, it's been left with others to figure out. You can call the stream a ditch if you like?

wcutler likes this.
  12. wcutler

I was totally in the wrong place, walking around the stream at the far end of the parking lot. Douglas Justice told me where it was, described it, said it stood alone, and the marker is on Garden Explorer, showing it below the cherry grove on the other side of the parking lot. Still, I had to ask Douglas to point it out to me. Because I was looking for leaves that were sort of round with deep sinuses. These trees have dimorphic leaves, but it seems that this individual is not doing the only leaf shape I have photographed for this species. I would never ever have found this. And the ground slopes down to the fence here (it's right up against the fence at the stream); Douglas told me not to climb down there, as if I would ever do that. Which is to say, I only have this one photo. I will have to remember to bring a real camera some day.
    Broussonetia papyrifera_UBCBG_Cutler_20210916_152438.jpg

13. wcutler

Oh, and the Firmiana simplex is gone.
    @DonB, are you still looking for this?? I forgot to quote you on my posting above, but should be findable now.