Acer palmatum 'Red Pygmy'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

An update on the colours of my Red Pygmy, as I was asked today 16th July 2020 about the changes to more green in my maples.
    I'm loving this one atm, I think tbh it possibly beats the Spring colours.!!!!?

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Today 27th July 2020, continuing the photo diary of this lovely tree as requested. Getting better IMO.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

Day three of extreme heat 36° C, the regular updates as promised. Today expected to be hotter.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

17th August 2020, now three days of heavy rain and my trees are picking up at last.
    I just love the way the rain drops fall from the leaves of my Red Pygmy.
    It is a very happy tree today in my garden.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

25th August 2020, the calm before storm Francis arrives. Ultra close up today to show this leaf at it's best IMO.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

5th September 2020 and the diary continues, each day has a new colour on the leaves now. And tbh some rather strange colours this year.
    I love this cultivar, it never ceases to amaze me.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

10th September 2020 and my maples are now racing into Autumnal colours. So warm and sunny at the moment, it does seem a bit strange though.
    Now my Red Pygmy threw this out today, so to show what a lovely cultivar this is, I thought I would add it here.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

13th September 2020 and the sun is shining and it is getting warmer and warmer once again. So I hope my photo conveys this lovely near Autumn day.
    This cultivar is amazing IMO.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

11th October 2020 and I thought I would show the striking difference in the transition of my Red Pygmy.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

31st October 2020 and my Red Pygmy has progressed to a rainbow of colours. Even in the rain it cheered me up this morning, hope it has the same effect with you.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

2nd November 2020 and a cultivar that will being joy totne darkest of days and that is Red Pygmy. Seriously it glows like this every year.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

30th March 2021 and here we go for another year of great maples, I think that Red Pygmy deserves a place high up on the ladder of ones that I am very fond of in my garden. But let's see how it goes this year.
    Looking at the buds this morning it is off to a good start.
    Red pygmy 714.JPG

13. Acerholic

10th April 2021 and my absolute favourite in my garden a few minutes ago, my Red Pygmy. This is one of the reasons I love and grow maples.
    Red pygmy 185.JPG

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  14. Acerholic

23rd April 2021 and although this is not rain drops on my Red Pygmy's leaves, it is rain water I've collected over that last few months. I spray twice a day with this atm. Such a delicate maple!! But it is tough.
    Red Pygmy 190.JPG

15. Acerholic

3rd May 2021 and even with severe overnight frosts my Red Pygmy has now leafed out. I do live this cultivar in tbe early morning sunshine. It just glows.
    Red pigmy 211.JPG

maf likes this.
  16. Acerholic

19th June 2021 and the Summer colours are now here on my Red Pygmy.
    Red pigmy 275.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  17. Acerholic

8th July 2021 and I promised I would do a follow up on the new growth, so here it is this morning.
    Red pygmy 296.JPG

18. Acerholic

13th July 2021 and a follow up on the new growth on my Red Pygmy. New branches shooting everywhere atm.
    Red pigmy 301.JPG

19. Worldly_Wrangler

Worldly_Wrangler Active Member

I planted a Red Pygmy in late winter and loved the red foliage that grew in the spring. By early June it had greened out completely and remained a rather unimpressive dirty green the rest of the summer.

I really wanted a cultivar that kept its red foliage for longer. I’m thinking of replacing it. Would Beni Yubi Gohon be a better choice for a red linearilobum maple?

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

Good morning, Red Pygmy will stay red if planted in more sun. You will find most reds will green up in the Summer if plante in too much shade. Re Beni Yubi Gohon, it is a lovely delicate red maple, but again it needs lots of sun to keeps it's reds.

D

maf likes this.
  21. Worldly_Wrangler

Thanks for the response @Acerholic . I should have posted a picture from earlier in the day. This location is on the East facing side of my house. It gets sun from sunrise to about 2PM in the summer. Here is a picture taken at 1PM today in full sun.

Would Beni Yubi Gohon hold its color better in that situation?

Attached Files:

22. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

@Worldly_Wrangler I have a Red Pygmy in similar sun exposure as your plant, sun all morning till about 2pm. It is now a dirty mottled greenish colour on old leaves, but in June it was still a vibrant maroon/purple colour and remained that way deep into summer. I have had that maple for 20 years and I have never once seen it as green as the one in your pictures. Based on my plant, others I have observed in person, and the inevitable Vertrees description, I have my doubts whether your plant is the true Red Pygmy or an imposter. If it is a new plant it might just be settling in and showing non-typical colouration, but there exists the possibility you were mis-sold an inferior variety.

Not meaning to be negative, just putting an opinion out there...

Acerholic likes this.
  23. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Also found this old post in a thread about fall colour of Red Pygmy which claims 'Red Pygmy' and 'Villa Taranto' have been mixed up in Oregon going back many years. Might be worth comparing your plant to VT and see if it is a better match.

Original thread here: Red Linearilobum with yellow fall colors

24. Acerholic

Tbh I have never seen a Red Pygmy that green in any position in a garden, so M @maf may have a very good point re what you were sold.
    RP and Beni yubi gohon both hold their reds well throughout the Summer IMO and especially in a good amount of sun.

D

maf likes this.
  25. Worldly_Wrangler

Thank you to both @maf and @Acerholic for the great information.

Interestingly enough, the wholesale nursery that my tree came from is located in Oregon, where the Red Pygmy is speculated to not be the true cultivar.

I’m really disappointed with this one, so I’m going to dig it up and gift it to a neighbor. Thanks again.