Viable Acer griseum (Paperbark Maple) seeds?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Maiden, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Whachamacollit

Whachamacollit Member

Today i took some of the griseums together with a variety of japanese maple seedlings outside for the first time...

Attached Files:

zfrittz, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good evening T, I'm glad it's warm enough there for those little ones to be out. Over here everything is going back under cover. Just so cold.
    They all look like they are coming along very nicely. You are getting an amazing success rate.

Whachamacollit likes this.
  3. Whachamacollit

Whachamacollit Member

Well it is still cold here too and i will place them back in the greenhouse for the nights. It will get a little warmer the next week and i want them to be outside all the time as i need the space for other seeds and plants... yes it all went terrific with the griseums and the jm’s i love the colours...

4. Acerholic

You have tended them well T. A deserved 'pat on the back' as they say here.

5. Whachamacollit

Whachamacollit Member

Haha thank you!

6. Whachamacollit

Whachamacollit Member

Just showing that bad weather for humans is not bad for the plants…

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

What a beautiful garden you have there T and farmland surrounding you, 'lovely'. Can you feel the envy coming across the sea!!? Lol.

8. Whachamacollit

Whachamacollit Member

Haha i feel it, but it’s a lot of work my friend…

9. Acerholic

All lovely gardens are T. That is something so many people don't realise.

10. Whachamacollit

Whachamacollit Member

Hello Acer Griseumfriends!. I am very curious at how your seedlings are doing and i hope some of you had success and can show some nice pictures?
    Mine are still doing fine. Some grow a lot faster than the others, but i must say that i didn’t expect that such a great number of them would get this far.

Attached Files:

Nik, AlainK, Acerholic and 1 other person like this.
  11. Whachamacollit

Whachamacollit Member

Well lovely people from this forum. The acer griseum’s still grow very well and everything is going just really fine at the moment.
    I just checked out my garden and the acers and suddenly i realized that this specific forum and especially some of the members of it created just one very toxic moment in my very happy live and i want you to know that just this has made me extremely happy!
    I want to thank all of you for this special feeling as i can’t imagine myself being this happy without your input and help on the negative side of live.
    I wanted to share a peace of knowledge, was willing to send seeds and manuals for free, but none of you was willing to take my hand and now you are there without pretty little trees, and without the knowledge to grow these little gems at all.
    I hope that all of you have learned something from this experience and that you will treat someone else who likes to share something nice with you in a nice way.
    Thanks for the few who were very friendly to me and the rest, well stick it where the trees won’t grow..

Soumil Yarlagadda likes this.
  12. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I do not follow the Maples forum too closely and did not see your offer. Even if I had, I doubt that I would have been able to take advantage of it because of the import regulations imposed on seeds from elsewhere in the world. People in garden clubs I belong to are very upset with changes in regulations brought about by Britain leaving the EU.

Frankly, I don't think anyone who loves plants and gardens is lacking appreciation for others who want to share - we do it all the time. The trouble for us here in Canada (and perhaps all NA) is that it is very complicated and usually expensive to import plants from Europe and elsewhere.

13. Whachamacollit

Whachamacollit Member

As i said before, free, and all costs on me.

14. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

You are being very generous but please keep in mind that 'costs' are not just money involved (which may be much higher than you imagine for just a few seeds) but also time.

For starters, read through this document before even beginning to try and figure out exactly how to navigate the applicable regulations and then fulfil them.

ABCs of seed importation into Canada - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

Sad to say, it's cheaper, quicker and easier to pop down to the local garden centre and simply buy an Acer griseum grown locally.

15. Nik

Nik Contributor

As of today my 3-year old seedling, planted in the ground earlier this year, has lost almost all of its leaves. I thought it would do well in that spot because several palmatums are having a great time in the same location. I was wrong (first two pictures).
    The 3 second year seedlings I have in a pot in our screened porch seem to be doing much better. In heavy clay soil from the yard… go figure. I am very curious to see how the hybrid one will do next year (last picture).
    See post #187 for pictures from this spring of the potted ones.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    Margot, Maiden, LoverOfMaples and 2 others like this.
  16. Maiden

Maiden Member

"
    Welcome back to my thread. Let me get this straight, your feelings were hurt because people haven't taken you up on your offer so you decide a proper response would be to tell them to stick it?
    Sooo...trying to see the balance here, not taking someone up on an offer compared to.... being rude...I think you lose this 'battle' Sir.

Margot likes this.
  17. Soumil Yarlagadda

Soumil Yarlagadda Well-Known Member Maple Society

im a bit late but how are the griseums now?

18. Maiden

Maiden Member

I'm not sure if you meant me who started the thread but my seeds are in the ground after a couple of seasons of stratification. This Spring is when I will find out if any of them are viable...and if they are, if the deer will eat them.

Soumil Yarlagadda likes this.
  19. Soumil Yarlagadda

Soumil Yarlagadda Well-Known Member Maple Society

If you do see some try scoring some with a knife and cracking them open to extract the embryo, It will help them along.

Maiden likes this.
  20. Whachamacollit

Whachamacollit Member

Still going strong…

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

Amazing success @Whachamacollit