Hydroponics anyone?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by heatherflower, Sep 5, 2021.

1. heatherflower

heatherflower New Member

Hi,
    I’m curious if anyone on here has experience with hydroponics and has advice. I’m thinking to build an indoor system that can go against a wall under my skylight. But I want something very low maintenance and to make a unit in a weekend.

I’m looking for fresh organic food year round. My questions: what are your thoughts on hydroponics? Have you ever built one and if so, what experiences can you share? Is this something that you feel is desirable in a home and why? Have you seen any beautiful systems that you would suggest for indoors?
    Is this something that you would consider in your own home?
    Thanks,
    Heather

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

One of my sons attended a vocational school where they grew vegetables (tomatoes, green pepper, etc.) in a greenhouse, in rockwool with a drip system. The way some pros do.

I wouldn't do that in my home for lack of space, and because I much prefer "natural", organic vegetables.

But it depends what you want to grow : is it worth the money you want to invest ?

Here the vast majority of the people who grow indoor plants with hydroponics grow cannabis, which is illegal in France : try to search cannabis+hydroponics, you can probably adapt the advice you'll find there, you could find some good reeferences perhaps...

3. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Having tried hydroponic produce both legal and illicit in the past I found natural soil grown to be much better in flavour, I wouldn't bother with it myself.

AlainK likes this.