Schefflera actinophylla - help needed

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Raymond Huang, Sep 7, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Raymond Huang

Raymond Huang New Member

I have a Schefflera actinophylla where i noticed the truck is peeling off. Anyone know how to save this fellow :(

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Is the affected stem still alive up top? In any case I'm not sure anything can be done. Is the material binding the stems together really necessary? I wonder if the pressure from the bottom one contributed to the bark dieback.

3. Raymond Huang

Raymond Huang New Member

Yep, it's still alive. It's actually still nice and green. The white strings that wrapped around it was recent like 1 week ago cause i thought maybe that one had too much pressure causing it to crack.
    My thought is to maybe change soil or buy a stick to hold the plant up from that side? Thoughts?

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

If the plant is able to support itself without any help then it's best to go without a stake. Likewise, wrappings around the trunk should be removed. However if it is necessary to have such, perhaps to eliminate movement of the individual stems to prevent chafing and subsequent damage to the bark, then use ones that are made for the job.

By the way, it's a nice looking plant which I think may be S. arboricola or more accurately, Heptapleurum arboricola.

5. Raymond Huang

Raymond Huang New Member

Thanks for the help. Yea, it's a nice plant. My first plant so wanna save the fellow :)