Stachyurus praecox

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Greg Tener, Sep 2, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Greg Tener

Greg Tener New Member

We have a full grown 15 year old Stachyrus Praecox that we love, but we have to move in the next week or so. What is the best way to do this? Can we cut it back hard and allow it to break from the bottom or should we try and take it out and move it with all the leaves on?

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the forums @Greg Tener -

I have never grown Stachyrus praecox but I approach decisions like this from the perspective of 'what is the worst that could happen if I did 'A' or if I did 'B'?' Cutting the shrub back hard would undoubtedly make it easier to deal with but may destroy the elegant arching form this shrub is valued for - at least in the short term. I would be more worried about digging enough root for the plant to survive. Are you doing it by hand or using a machine?
    I see that S. praecox likes moist conditions so moving it before autumn rains arrive to help it establish could be a challenge too. If it were me, I'd start fresh by buying a new plant because I think, in the long run, it would be easier and would avoid a struggle with the established one you have now. Moving is stressful enough without adding the frustration of transplanting large shrubs that may or may not handle things well.

3. Greg Tener

Greg Tener New Member

Thanks Margo. This is what I was afraid of.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'm seeing mention in various sources that late summer cuttings are a relatively easy way to propagate.

5. Greg Tener

Greg Tener New Member

Thanks Daniel. We may try to remove it with a front end loader and see if it survives. I have my doubts. I’ll take some cuttings and root them anyway.

6. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I think it will have a fighting chance if it's dug up with a machine. You probably already know that you'll have to keep it moist at all times until the rainy season. I often use a Transplant Fertilizer containing rooting hormones when I transplant something that will lose a lot of roots in the process. It may not help but it won't hurt.
    Good luck; I can understand why you wouldn't want to lose such a beautiful old shrub like your Stachyrus praecox.

7. Greg Tener

Greg Tener New Member

I have the rooting fertilizer already and yes it will be watered profusely. Thanks Margot, it is stunning in the late winter/early spring.