Now what is this again? :)

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Riverdale27, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Riverdale27

Riverdale27 Active Member

Hi guys/girls,

What might this be now? :)

First pic is Acer Shirasawanum Jordan, second one an Aureum. Both are in shade until 3 pm and then they receive a bit of sun, but hardly any in our horribly rainy summer.

Both in containers since I bought them early this year. Mix of regular potting soil, peat, bit of pine bark. I hardly water them unless they dry out (which they don't really do in their spot).

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning Kurt, this is very normal for these two cultivars. I don't know of any that don't burn during the Summer. If you plant them out, then after a few years they will settle down. But even then you will get this leaf scorch during very hot days.

D

Xi-feng and Otto Bjornson like this.
  3. Riverdale27

Thanks D! So sunburn again huh... too bad. I kind find a better spot for these around my house I'm afraid. I got my garden facing north-east in the back and south-west in the front, so I've got sun all day, apart from behind my goat shed, where they are.

Guess I might install some kind of camoflage cloth next year that provides dappled shade to all maples.

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Contributor

Total shade is best for those cultivators, or under the shade of larger trees. And like Derek said they pretty much all tend to get ruffled tips here and there even sometimes in the full shade environment as well.

5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I agree that most maples, especially those grown in containers can get sun scorch and they fare better in the shade.

But don't you think that can also be the consequence of a soil that retains too much moisture ? Peat can stay damp lower in the pot long after the top soil looks dry. Maybe you should try a more draining mix so the roots can "breathe"...

maf likes this.
  6. Riverdale27

Yeah Alain will def try that when repotting. Put lava grain in there for drainage.

Here another pic of my Sode Nishiki. Also sunburn you think? These leaves are 2-3 weeks old

Attached Files: