Muscadine grapes with leaf spots

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by ccurran, Aug 22, 2021.

1. ccurran

ccurran New Member

Shipped these out from Florida and they're now planted in my southern California backyard where it's hot and fairly dry. They sprout new leaves, but they're quickly overtaken with this brown spotting. Any idea what it is? Is it fungus or poor nutrition or something else?

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    So Cal is diverse in climate

Are you cool fog (balboa for eg)

Or hot dry (Temecula grape wine country for example)

One question in general - and I say this based on where we live up in BC - is generally we cannot plant in our back yard what might contribute to disease risk in commercial crops near us

Here is the bylaw from what in Cal you’d call a county (in bc its a regional district)

I realize this bylaw is not applicable to you in So Cal but your county might have similar

Growing Fruit? Pest Control | RDOS

That said - does your county extension answer questions for home gardeners?

4. ccurran

ccurran New Member

I wonder if it's too dry... hmm... I remember reading they needed hot weather with no standing water and no frost. I assumed dry air wouldn't be an issue. This is the first article I read where it says that. Maybe should have researched a bit more thoroughly perhaps.

Definitely hot dry, in Riverside County. I remember reading these grapes don't do too well on coastal regions given that it gets too cool.
    As for disease, I'll have to look up the local laws, but specifically chose this variety given that they're disease-resistant. Didn't imagine they would come diseased, but I suppose why not?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2021