Wah! What happened to my lilacs?

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Erica, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Erica

Erica Active Member

I have dwarf lilacs that were inherited with the house we bought. Anyway, looks like we only have 3 flowers on this giant bush- tonnes of green leaves. What can I do for next year to get more flowers? thanks! Erica

2. Erica

Erica Active Member

Ron= Where are you?
    I thought for sure you'd have my answers! : )

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Well, the problem with your problem is that nobody else will really know what happened either. This is a common situation with these internet chat rooms, those answering queries are often left to fumble around trying to suggest what may have happened, without really being able to give specific solutions. Maybe your shrubs were pruned back, maybe it was the weather last year, maybe they are working on a cycle, like rhododendrons and alternate-bearing apples, where a heavy crop one year causes a poor one the next (or longer). Maybe this, maybe that...if you did something different (like pruning) that could be a hint. If you could have a consultant out to look at them they might happen to pick up on something visible or mentioned in the interview that was a tipoff. But I doubt you will want to pay someone consulting rates to address just this issue, which might disappear with next year's bloom anyway.

When plants aren't up to par there is a 'critical factor' that needs to be identified and addressed before an improvement can be made. For instance, possibly testing your soil would reveal a nutrient deficiency that, when corrected by applying a fertilizer with the appropriate forumula, would produce an improvement that enhanced flowering. If the critical factor in this instance is not a nutrient deficiency, or the fertilizer used does not supply the deficient nutrient in the needed amount, then fertilization will not correct the problem--the critical factor was not addressed.

Last edited: May 3, 2006
  4. Erica

Erica Active Member

Thanks Ron!
    Funny you should mention pruning. I did. I thought I was supposed to. i pruned them in the fall to about 2/3 of the original.
    I thought pruning was good for all shrubs and trees... to make them grow bigger? Thanks for your reply.

5. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Fall pruning can be the issue, you may have removed forming flower buds in their infancy. with many spring flowering shrubs, the best time to prune them is right after they have finished blooming.

6. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Erica,

The lilacs should be fine next year, but for lilacs pruning should usually be done immediately after flowering. Some plants start setting bud for the following year in summer or fall, others form buds in early spring. You have to read up on each plant to find out when and how to prune.

Here is a nice link on pruning lilacs:
    http://www2.ville.montreal.qc.ca/jardin/en/info_verte/lilas/quand_tailler.htm

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Lilacs mature their shoots and set bud real soon after flowering, it is highly likely you inadvertantly cut this year's bloom off. Branches cut back hard may require some years to resume flowering well.