Anyone have a Hubb's Red Willow?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by MapleZen, Aug 19, 2021.

1. MapleZen

MapleZen Well-Known Member

Recently got a 1 gallon Hubb's and while reading up on the cultivar online, I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information. One site describes it as an "unusually vigorous" grower, reaching up to 12 feet in 12 years, while another describes it as slow-growing and reaching 6-8 feet at maturity. I know these sort of conflicting descriptions are not uncommon with rarer cultivars, so I'n hoping for some firsthand experience.

Does anyone actually have one of these in their garden? Any pictures and/or comments about the actual growth habit and size?

2. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Notwithstanding the controversy about the name I have a couple 'Hubbs Red Willow' bought 5 years ago. A 1 gal was ~4' is now about 6' and a 5 gal was ~5' is now about 8'.

Some photos scattered throughout the Cheering ourselves up with Maples thread as well as at links below
    Acer palmatum 'Hubbs Red Willow'
    Beni Otake vs Hubbs Red Willow

3. MapleZen

MapleZen Well-Known Member

Wow -- they put on only 2 and 3 feet, respectively, in 5 years? That is certainly not what I'd call vigorous growth, particularly for an upright cultivar.

4. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

The growth rate, to a large extent, will depend on how vigorous a rootstock the scion is grafted to. Both 12 feet in 12 years and 2 feet in 5 years are equally possible from the same scion material depending on rootstock and other cultural factors.

5. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor