What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I think it would be very difficult to find deciduous trees that could survive long, hot, dry summers in the BC interior.

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Further to my prev post - there was SNOW (not ash) up on Apex Mtn ski area this morning

It is approx between Penticton & Hedley (Keremeos) BC. (The Okanagan Valley on east — thé Similkameen Valley in west that all eventually flow in to Columbia River in Brewster WA State near our fellow forum member in Cashmere WA.

Rain in the valley, snow at Apex Mountain Sunday morning - Penticton News

Attached Files:

Worldly_Wrangler and Lisa Harry like this.
  3. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

And further to this subject, Fine Woodworking magazine had an article, many years ago now, where a very limited amount of clear cutting is allowed on one of the south sea Islands. Might have been Papua/New Guinea I think. What they do there is to cut just a 50 yard wide swath through the jungle, then let it re-seed itself naturally. Because of the tropical weather system that they exist under, the warmth and high rainfall do an extremely effective and fast job of filling in the clearcut. And on top of that, the hardwoods that grow there are high value timbers which quickly helps their economy. I probably still have that magazine somewhere.

Lisa Harry, maf and Margot like this.
  4. Georgia Strait

Lisa Harry, Margot and Keith Elliott like this.
  5. Keith Elliott

For such a small town as Anglemont is, our fire department looks after quite an extensive area. I don't think we are under any immediate danger, unless we get lightning (not in the forecast) which could start a fire close to us. We have discussed exactly what we would do should we be forced to evacuate. I sure hope that doesn't happen.

Margot and Georgia Strait like this.
  6. Worldly_Wrangler

Worldly_Wrangler Active Member

Oh oh how I miss snow!

It’s a dream of mine to travel up the Columbia and visit all of the little towns along the way. The furthest I have gone is Penticton and it’s been 30 years since then. I’m glad I get to enjoy the river that all those tributaries flow into.

We’ve had a cool weather in Cashmere for 4 days but back to another heatwave starting tomorrow. A lot of my maples put out a 2nd flush so I’m worried the heat will burn the tender new leaves.

I hope my neighbors to the north are doing well!

Margot likes this.
  7. Riverdale27

Riverdale27 Active Member

What a year here...

First we have strong winter we haven't seen in years. Temp donw to -10 a -15 °C for days in a row. Then we have a very cold wet spring. Summer has been shite so far with the biggest floods we've seen in decades (you might have heard about those on the news: Belgium and Germany). And now summer is still shite :) Getting better starting from tomorrow, but who knows how long that will last.

Look at this graph. Normally we get 800 mm of rain per year here in Belgium. Now we've had 1000 mm over the past 12 months, with about 300 mm (just under 40% of what's normal) in just one summermonth.

Attached Files:

8. Margot

Very troubling. No one knows what to expect next which makes garden planning a useless exercise. And we all realize growing successful gardens may be the least of our challenges.

9. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Not that bad in the past weeks here (no floodings, fewer forest fires compared to previous years so far), but today a hot summer is back : 29° C this afternoon, no wind, no rain.

10. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

29! My goodness. I think we hit 23°, most pleasant. Finally in for a few days of sun, it has been possible to cut the hay. At least a month late, and mostly ruined, but there will be some. The fields are full of tractor ruts, it's so muddy still.

The maples are all quite thinly leaved, or with small leaves (those in the ground), but there have been some miraculous regrowth, though I can't yet know which ones are just zombies: A. sikkimense, 2 A. laevigatum, a large A. palmatum that froze and never pushed again is now trying, a couple of pentaphyllums coming back from the base. We'll see, but surely some warmth and sun will help.

I haven't been following this thread for a while, but I'm so sorry to hear about the calamities. We know about these from the news, and from friends and family, but always (except our Greek friends) with a bit of distance. Wishing you all courage and the best outcome.

11. Nik

Nik Contributor

Typical for this time of year around here, oppressively humid and relatively hot.
    Very surprising to have normal weather actually, considering the messed-up climate events seemingly everywhere.

Attached Files:

Lisa Harry likes this.
  12. Riverdale27

Riverdale27 Active Member

Those are nice graphs! Do you make them yourself?

13. Nik

Nik Contributor

The answer is No. I just use a phone app called Dark Sky. Very accurate, especially for short-term predictions.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  14. Keith Elliott

Yesterday we had a clear day here, the wind moved all the smoke out. Of course, that's no good for the fires.

Last night around sunset, this smoke cloud started to appear from the south. This would be from the fire at Sicamous. Early this morning it was very smoky here, but now, just before 7 am it has thinned out. Although there isn't any wind yet. Only supposed to go to 30º today and 34º tomorrow.

IMG_7248.JPG IMG_7249.JPG

Acerholic and Lisa Harry like this.
  15. Keith Elliott

It is now just after 6:30 pm here, and for the past few hours I have been watching these smoke clouds pass over us from the north, very strange. I checked the fires to the north of us, but there's really not much there. I suspect the wind has done a swirling motion from the Crazy Creek Gorge fire which has now gone well over 3,000 Ha.

IMG_7250.JPG IMG_7251.JPG IMG_7252.JPG IMG_7253.JPG IMG_7254.JPG

IMG_7255.JPG

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    Acerholic likes this.
  16. Margot

It's almost impossible for me to relate to such an area as 3,000 ha. . . . my place is .3 ha so 10,000 time larger? Still can't relate.

Stanley Park in Vancouver (aka the Metro Vancouver Coyote Refuge) is 'only' 405 hectares.

The impact not only on people and trees is the huge loss of animals who cannot escape such an inferno.

Keith Elliott likes this.
  17. Keith Elliott

It's big, that's for sure. Latest number is 3586 Ha, or about 9,000 acres if that's easier to comprehend. It's very likely bigger than that as we speak, probably 4,000 Ha by now. It really is a shame that it couldn't have been attacked by water bombers when it was under 25Ha, but we just didn't have the resources given how serious many of the other fires were.

There's 640 acres to a square mile, so this fire is about 14 square miles. Or one mile wide by 14 miles long. Hard to imagine.

And this evening, the smoke has once again completely covered the lake to the point that we can no longer see any lights on the other side.

We recorded 38.2º here this afternoon on a forecast high of just 30º. Tomorrow they say 34º for the high, we'll see what really happens. Mind you, if we have a thick smoke layer, it actually seems to reduce the heat somewhat.

18. Margot

Hi Keith - I sure wouldn't want to get into a competition with you for high temperatures BUT we got up to 36C here this afternoon on the coast. The Weather Network says smoke is coming tomorrow as well continued high temps. I can't tell you how I'm pining for autumn.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    Keith Elliott and Georgia Strait like this.
  19. Keith Elliott

It's OK Margot, the winner is the person with the lowest temperature! You win! But 36º on the coast must surely feel like a lot more than that.

Still due for 34º this afternoon here, with the added joy of more smoke. I haven't even opened the door yet to look outside and I can smell the smoke again. Definitely not pleasant.

The person supposedly fixing our A/C (going on since last April) still cannot figure it out. I reminded him of the health issues I suffered in the extreme heat earlier when we had the last heat dome. The only effect it seemed to have was for him to play hooky for the rest of the day so he could go out and play on his boat on the lake for the afternoon.

Margot likes this.
  20. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Contributor

Here in chilliwack we hit 39C yesterday combined with smoke filling the entire fraser valley. Hit a low of 27C this morning at 5 a.m.
    The smoke is really thick, I can't imagine those with underlying health conditions having to breathe this air. Very limited activity for us today other than misting the young grafts every hour or two

Keith Elliott likes this.
  21. Georgia Strait

Smoke is quite thick in Howe Sound (Horseshoe Bay - Langdale ferry route)

I would say one could start smelling burnt wood smoke sometime around midnight

No ash visible

Webcam of car waiting lot faces due east and the sunlight shows that orange cast.

Sunshine Coast (Langdale) - Vancouver (Horseshoe Bay) Status | BC Ferries

Here is a Drive BC cam also facing east - it is at the top of the big hill that exits the ferry at Langdale terminal

The mountains in distance are near Squamish
    DriveBC Gibsons Bypass - E Cam

22. AlainK

31°C this afternoon, but they say it's going back to normal after the weekend, even slightly cooler than the "usual temperatures".

But days are shorter, and the nights are not so hot now, around 16-17, an ideal temperature for a good night sleep. except when you wake up scratcing your ear at 6 because of a mosquito bite and can't get back to sleep... ^^

23. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Mix of smoke and fog this morning.
    Shots about 10 seconds apart with sun invisible unless pointing directly at.
    08.13.21 07.05.43 AM.jpeg 08.13.21 07.05.55 AM.jpeg

Temps along the coast are still cool compared to Eugene(closest city) and the other major PNW cities.
    Yesterday PM and a few minutes ago.
    08.12.21 05.44.14 PM.jpeg 08.13.21 07.38.25 AM.jpeg

Georgia Strait and Margot like this.
  24. AlainK

Scary...

Fires in the Mediterranean area have pushed away those in N-W America on TV news here. They're closer to Europe and many people from Turkey, Greece, Algeria have links with France, it's closer in every sense of the term.

In Algeria, more than 60 people have died. In Greece, at last they got some rain so the situation is getting better. In Turkey, there are now floodings in the north, in some places, the rivers raised up to 4 metres. 5 dead.

These episodes are happening more and more often...

25. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

Here we have a heat wave: Granada reaches 45.3 degrees and will continue to be on orange alert due to high temperatures this weekend.
    If it were not enough last night at 11:25 p.m. a great earthquake, according to the data provided by the National Geographic Institute, of 4.5 degrees on the Richter scale, one of the largest earthquakes felt since the 80s.
    What a night I had. Earthquake of 4.5 and temperature of 32 degrees. And without daring to put the ceiling fan in case the earth continues to march and falls on me, I am afraid of how the maples are going to be after this wave of events.

Heat, meteors, earthquake ...
    Men! Already put.
    I would add a Tsunami and we have an apocalyptic picture that not even the horsemen of San Juan.