Acer buergerianum 'Michael Steinhardt'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by Worldly_Wrangler, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Worldly_Wrangler

Worldly_Wrangler Active Member

I didn’t see a thread for this awkwardly named cultivar.

Mine was purchased bare root by mail about 2 months ago and looked rather sparse at the time. It has had quite a big flush of new leaves since then.

I placed it on the east side of my house where it receives early morning sun and shade from about 11am onward. I believe with more sun, it would be more golden than it currently is. I’ve read that this cultivar is very sun tolerant though with 100F plus temperature I don’t want to chance it.

I’ll follow up in October with more pictures to show what it looks like in the fall.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi, for the record it is 'Michael Steinhardt' (spelled the usual way) in an admin would change the title. Michael donated the Japanese Maple collection at the New York Botanical Garden, this cultivar was named in a fitting tribute to him. (I wouldn't mention it, but if we don't change it pretty soon there will be 2 cultivars with the different spellings, lol).

I don't believe it is available in EU yet, but I was given a small plant a couple of years ago by a friend. It has had trouble getting established for me, when it looks good it looks great, most of the time it looks a bit ratty. (Sorry I don't have a picture). This year it is stronger and doing much better. As shown in the second pic above, new growth is a lovely red gold.

I think this is going to be a really valuable garden plant, thanks @Worldly_Wrangler for adding a thread on it.

3. Worldly_Wrangler

Thanks for the correction and I apologize. I copied the spelling from the website I purchased it from, which I now see spelled it incorrectly.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've corrected the typo :-)

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks @Michael F .

@Worldly_Wrangler no need at all to apologize, it's great that you started the thread.

Here are a couple of pics of our 'Michael Steinhardt'. That little fellow on the right is the rather interesting A. monspessulanum ssp. ibericum.

IMG_20210727_135915.jpg IMG_20210727_135934.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    Acerholic, maf and Worldly_Wrangler like this.
  6. Worldly_Wrangler

That is beautiful. Hopefully in a couple of years mine looks like that!

I like the leaf shape and glossiness of the A. monspessulanum. I would love to see cultivars of more European species in my local nurseries. I have never seen that species in person.

7. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Quick snap of my 'Michael Steinhardt' before the growing season start.

Attached Files:

Acerholic and AlainK like this.