Jujube Tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by pmurphy, Aug 18, 2014.

1. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I acquired a young tree in early spring (not even leafed out), about 3ft tall. It leafed out but had not produced much new growth so I took a closer look the other day and noticed it had small flowers on it!
    According to the tag, it is semi-self fertile and supposed to produce the flowers about mid-summer and then "produce chestnut colored, apricot sized fruit". I've never had a fruit tree that flowers so late in our season so I'm not sure what to expect (I was actually quite shocked to see flowers on such a small tree).

My question is, how long does it take to produce the fruit? - will it do this before the winter or hold the fruit until spring?
    Has anyone had any luck with this tree here in Vancouver?

Thanks,

2. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

I've been growing 'Li', 'Lang' and 'Coco' for 4 or 5 years; initially I planted them outdoors, and while they grew (slowly) and were winter hardy, they always woke up and flowered late (like yours is doing). by about the third year, small fruit began to form, but too late to size up and ripen. last year I moved them all into an unheated greenhouse and the difference this year has been remarkable: much more growth and earlier flowers, with the Li in particular having about 50 or 60 maturing fruits (presently about the size of a quarter)...I'll attach a pic later, but it's fairly evident that these like that little bit of extra heat to do anything (at least for coastal BC). As an aside, they appear to be pollinated by ants, spiders and various ground insects.

The fruit should ripen by the Fall, and a fair bit of fruit drop seems to happen with the very young fruits, so it's unlikely yours will amount to much this season.

also worth noting that they tend to have a weeping habit, so fit well into a greenhouse...

3. pmurphy

Thanks for the info!
    I actually have a covered "garden" - an 18'L x 9.5'W x 8'H hoop greenhouse that I put over my vegetable garden - that I was going to transplant (in-ground) my citrus into before winter. Perhaps I will move this one inside as well once it drops the leaves for winter, and we'll see what happens next year.
    Question: are your's potted or in-ground? - just wondering if I should pot mine up and place inside, or just plant it.

4. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

In ground....And you'd probably be best planting them down the middle, to give them the full height of your hoophouse.

5. pmurphy

Sounds good, thanks again!

6. David Choo

David Choo New Member

I saw a question on jujube tree from pmurphy on August 18, 2014 and a reply by
    woodschmoe and wonder how their trees are doing. Would greatly appreciate an update.

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

8. pmurphy

Sorry @DavidChoo for not responding, for some reason I'm not getting alerts...
    The tree is doing well this year and actually flowered again - first time since 2017

Attached Files:

David Choo likes this.
  9. David Choo

David Choo New Member

Many thanks @pmurphy for your response which greatly helps me to decide whether I should buy the jujube tree. Although it’s rated as cold-hardy up to zone 4-5, it needs winter protection for it to flower & fruit in our region and our summer may not be long enough for the fruits to ripen.

10. pmurphy

That maybe pushing it, more like zone 6.
    However they do tend to be on the spindly side so if you decide to get I would recommend planting in a protected place. There is also a lot of debate as to whether you need one or two for fruit, and as mine has produced fruit on its own I would say they are self-fertile (at least 'Li' is) but you would probably get a better crop with two. And those that say you must have two are recommending different varieties. I don't think they need a longer season for the fruit to ripen but they do need a hot summer....and that we had.

David Choo likes this.
  11. David Choo

David Choo New Member

A friend bought the Chinese variety “Li” and the Korean “Empress Gee” from a farm in Burnaby. Both are said to be self-fertile. For those who have only a small greenhouse, I guess the best solution is to plant the tree in a large pot and move it into the greenhouse during winter.

12. sean86114

sean86114 Member

I just bought and Li and Lang, I am located in Richmond. Just planted them in the ground, they are still in dormancy mode. Fingers crossed and hope for the best

13. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

How tall a jujube tree usually is, when it starts to produce?
    What self fertile jujube varieties are the earliest ripeners?

14. sean86114

sean86114 Member

I don’t think it will grow too big with our weather.
    -Li is your best bet for self fertile but is better to get a Lang for better result. My Li is about 7’ tall and Lang is probably 2’. These trees are on the expensive side tho. Hopeful they will produce some fruit this year.

Attached Files:

Sulev likes this.
  15. sean86114

sean86114 Member

May 29, update..
    coco = 12” short … woke up and looking great
    Lang= 2ft tall.. just waking up
    Li= 8ft tall… no signs of anything.. should be worry? It’s almost June..

Attached Files:

Sulev likes this.
  16. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

What a joy to see tender trees waking up after winter!
    I think, it's too soon to be worried about the Li.
    I predict, that it will wake up in 10 days.