Flower box beauty

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by David Tang, Jul 29, 2021.

1. David Tang

David Tang Active Member

Walked along Fraser at Imperial Landing this morning.
    As there was mot much birds around, noticed this
    growing in a flower box. Most likely not a native.

Attached Files:

2. 8Peonies

8Peonies Active Member

Ceanothus concha?? Not sure

3. David Tang

David Tang Active Member

Thanks for commenting.
    But think not, the leaves differ.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

It does look like Ceanothus though. C. concha should bloom earlier. There is one called Ceanothus 'Autumnal Blue'. I can't see the leaves on this site
    Ceanothus 'Autumnal Blue' (California Lilac)
    and we can't really see the plant shape or how big it is in your photos. But I'd guess that's not the right cultivar - yours looks more compact, with darker blue flowers.

5. David Tang

David Tang Active Member

Thanks all. The plant is about 4 feet x 4 feet, height about 3 feet.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Even with these micro views being all we are going by I can tell it looks like the regionally dominant offering being presented to the public as 'Victoria'. The Fross & Wilkin ceanothus monograph from Timber Press reported that people in the trade thought it was the same as 'Skylark'. However the web site of Xera Plants, Portland, Oregon has insisted in the past that they are two separate kinds with visible differences between them. On an occasion when I saw material under both names displayed near one another by a Seattle area retailer the plants did look interchangeable. However they were all in one gallon pot sizes, so that any distinctions that might be liable to manifest later in their development were not on view. (Either then or at other time(s) I bought one of each and planted them on my place to see what they would grow into but one of them failed to establish. And the label that came with the other disappeared).

Finally another factor when using nursery grown or supplied material to make comparative studies is a rather high percentage of stock distributed (in the United States anyway) has labeling issues. So for instance the time when I saw lookalike plants of 'Skylark' and 'Victoria' at the one store maybe it was actually all the same cultivar, with there being a back story like the producer of the 'Skylark' offering having read about the idea that 'Victoria' is actually 'Skylark', changed the naming of material they had first obtained as 'Victoria'.

Georgia Strait, Tyrlych and wcutler like this.