White Butterflies?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Anna Kadlec, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Anna Kadlec

Anna Kadlec Active Member 10 Years

Is it just me or is the lower mainland being invaded by white butterflies this year? Is there anything I need to know about these harmless-looking creatures?

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

There is if it's white cabbage moths, they lay eggs on your cruciferous vegetable plants and then the caterpillars eat holes in them. If it is a big pretty white butterfly, then I don't know. I have not noticed an abundance.

Pieris rapae - Wikipedia

3. Anna Kadlec

Anna Kadlec Active Member 10 Years

Thanks. You've confirmed my suspicion... but how can I tell whether the ones in my yard are "bad" or "good"?

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Cabbage whites are butterflies. However, we do have two species locally, one native and one not. If it is has a spot, it is the non-native. See here for a comparison: Observations · iNaturalist

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

203 observations of the invasive species, and 9 of the native one - that's a sad thing to observe

6. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

This summer larger than normal number of Aporia crataegi was observed here, in Estonia. They are also white.
    Aporia crataegi - Wikipedia