Valarian Officinalis

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by wildflower, Jul 21, 2021.

1. wildflower

wildflower New Member

I know this is a forum for herbs for the kitchen but I don't see one about medicinal herbs so am posting here.
    I am growing Valarian officinalis in hopes of using the roots for their sedative effects. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this?
    This is now the 2nd yr for my plant so it should have a good root system to harvest.
    Question is how much root to use?

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

There are so many variables that would cause most to hesitate recommending a concoction made of valerian (or anything else).

This short article from the Mayo clinic would make me very reluctant to self medicate. Valerian: A safe and effective herbal sleep aid?
    Valerian for insomnia? Maybe

It's important to remember that everything is chemical, whether bought from the pharmacy or whipped up in a kitchen. There's a lot to be said for choosing drugs that have been approved by the Canadian Food and Drug Agency rather than those whose strength and side effects you have no way to determine.

3. wildflower

wildflower New Member

Thanks for the info!

I'm an RN so am knowledgeable regarding pharmacology relating to OTC and prescription medications. Unfortunately in Canada the herbal med industry is not regualed which means herbs sourced in other countries have been found to contain toxic elements such as Cadmium and Lead!

I trust what I grow more than the herbal med industry. Am very familiar with prescription meds and all their side effects which is why I am growing Valarian which has been used for centuries for its sedative properties. However it is proving difficult to find exact measurements so thought there may be some herbalists utilizing these forums.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi, I think this is an instance where you'll get better responses from a Facebook group dedicated to use of herbs in medicine.

5. wildflower

wildflower New Member

Thanks thats what I am now thinking. It was a longshot.