"Trimmed" spruce..regrowth??

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by mkg, Jul 21, 2021.

1. mkg

mkg New Member

Today, my husband "trimmed" our massive, beautiful, full, droopy blue spruce without me knowing. The tree that created a secret forest for the kids and created a private forest-like backyard for me. Gone is our privacy and sound barrier.
    I am sick to my stomach. So sad. So mad. I'm sure I already know the answer, but is there ANY hope for regrowth???
    If not, what can I do/plant to fill the void (and give us some privacy back!)? What can be planted that close to the spruce?
    Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I would never want to be involved in a marital dispute :-) but . . . to me AFTER doesn't look all that bad. The children's play area is expanded and I think you can mitigate the loss of privacy perhaps by adding a row of large containers or barrels with interesting shrubs on a drip irrigation system.

Few husbands are perfect but then, neither are wives.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I think the area has a tidier look than before, with more usable space for the children. However I can see your point regarding the reduced privacy. Perhaps that can be addressed by the addition of a fence extension to increase the height of the fence. You can find some examples of this with an image search. Keep in mind though that doing so may introduce a new problem with you neighbour.

I would remove the short stubs left behind on the trunk; they appear to invite accidental injury.

4. mkg

mkg New Member

Looks like I need to be sending you some money for our marriage counseling session! Lol! ;)
    Thanks for your suggestions! I didn't think about barrels, was just searching for things to be planted.
    Thanks again!

5. mkg

mkg New Member

If I step back, I do agree it looks nice. Just kiss that privacy! :(
    I was looking at those fence extensions last night. I'll have to have a chat with the neighbors ;)
    Thanks for your feedback!

6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm not sure I can identify the "collar" where those stubs are, but from what I read, care needs to be taken cut cut just outside the collar.

Georgia Strait and mkg like this.
  7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Tree definitely looked better before. In addition now all the frankly not horribly attractive involved paraphernalia - including the unfinished shed - is more visible. What about moving the play area (and play gear) out into a dedicated area of its own, instead of having it stuck around and under the tree (and right next to the property line)? Without all that other stuff there you could then make the entire erstwhile planting bed the tree occupies into a decorative border that provides screening and a backdrop. Two final details that do have some bearing on practical aspects: 1. The tree is actually not a massive example of the type at all, cultivated specimens of blue Colorado spruce have been measured over 100' tall in the past. Which means over time yours is going to get a lot bigger than it is now, unless it dies first. 2. Plantings have pretty much no significant effect on noise, so the removal of the basal skirt of your spruce was effectively inconsequential in that regard.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  8. mkg

mkg New Member

I think our tree is probably 100' or close to. (Comparing it to the 40ft power pole nearby)
    Yeah, all of the "paraphernalia" will be picked up and moved elsewhere. It was all hiding behind/under the lower part of the spruce. And I took pics before moving it. And the "unfinished shed" is a treehouse/fort.
    Planter beds with tall plants is sounding like a potential idea. Thanks!

9. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well I can understand your upset and shock

I think one detail that maybe is not a conversation without a wise person with no vested interest nearby is ... what was/is spouse trying to achieve by this trimming?

Is it children play safety or some sort of fire hazard removal ...?

Or ...?

Because your shared agreed solution will hopefully accommodate your concerns and Mr concerns

And any concerns - if any - that your neighbors might have

Yes I agree & I like the ideas everyone types above - and esp the rearranging suggestions that RonB had put forth

I notice the popular privacy screens on patios and fences these days are at Lowe’s and HDepot etc

Montana is a gorgeous state - I am most familiar with Kalispell area.

Keep us posted.

Attached Files:

10. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yours will be a massive Colorado spruce when it has a trunk 5' thick.

Blue Spruce (Picea pungens) - American Forests

Which means that it is genetically programmed to grow a lot larger than it is now, if you continue to reside there for an extended period you are going to see the tree just get bigger and bigger.

mkg likes this.
  11. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Picea pungens starts to loose needles from lower branches at this age anyways. You can't expect it to protect your privacy for ever - this spruce is too demanding for light at this age. Your husband possibly saw that and removed lower branches. By letting more light down there somewhat reduces the speed of needle loss on remaining branches.