What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Still a narrow strip of normality along the Coast with daily cool moist winds

07.12.21 11.44.32 AM.jpg

Keith Elliott likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Looks like Oregon Coast is the place to be.....looks perfect G.

D

3. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

You are one lucky guy with those nice cool temperatures!

Here's this mornings' note from our forecast.

"Watch for the effects of heat illness: swelling, rash, cramps, fainting, heat exhaustion, heat stroke and the worsening of some health conditions.

Drink plenty of water even before you feel thirsty and stay in a cool place."

Doesn't look like we have much to worry about. They only missed, Beri Beri, Malaria and broken limbs!

There is the additional smoke warning, but anyone with half an eye can figure that out for themselves.

The main trouble with this is that we both had our second Covid shots yesterday, and the nurse warned us about the expected reactions after the second dose. We will need to be mindful of what we do and where we go for the next few days.

These photos are from yesterday at St. Ives, while the water is still crystal clear, the air is anything but. The Cinnemousin narrows and the Monashee Mountains have vanished. It's no better looking out across the lake this morning, I can just barely make out the shoreline on the other side.

IMG_6594.JPG IMG_6597.JPG

Year to date fire total: 1,044, with 101 this week.
    319 currently burning, with 53 new in the last two days.
    107 now in the Kamloops district.

4. Keith Elliott

Sorry to say there's more boring stuff.

1,065 fires year to date, 119 new this week.
    308 currently burning.
    111 in our district, Prince George district is next with only 63 fires.

Looking up behind us to the top of the mountain, only a few hundred meters away. Getting worse by the day.

IMG_6718.JPG

Across the lake, everything has vanished.

IMG_6720.JPG

Early morning sunrise through the smoke.

IMG_6713.JPG IMG_6715.JPG IMG_6728.JPG

5. Riverdale27

Riverdale27 Active Member

Just seems to calm down here in the east of Belgium. We've seen floods of major rivers I haven't seen the last 30 years. No floods here luckily. Trees seem not to care about it :)

6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Glad your safe Kurt.

D

7. Riverdale27

Riverdale27 Active Member

Ï
    Thanks. Funny note: normally it rains 800 mm in a full year. Now we are just over halfway the year and we´ve already passed the 800 mm mark.

8. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Funny? Definitely funny - weird not funny - ha-ha. All over the world, people are off-balance, not knowing what on earth to expect from the weather anymore.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    Lisa Harry likes this.
  9. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

No rain in Northampton, apparently Milton Keynes had 2hours of it..only 16miles away #tears

10. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Same here... I'm a dozen miles north of Northampton and we had plenty of thunder but only the slightest hint of a shower which came to nothing, good job I watered earlier..

And we also totally missed the storms a few days back that caused all the problems in London and Belgium and Germany. Brian May wasn't happy, I'm trying hard not to say karma...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    dicky5ash likes this.
  11. dicky5ash

We didn’t get much at all when Euston, Barnes and other places were experiencing flash flooding..Germany and Belgium was a horrific disaster

12. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Another hot one today in Somerset, phone says it's 28C my thermometer says 30.5C, either way it out of my comfort zone. One thing I've have noticed though, with the resumption of air travel the skys are definitely not as blue as they were last year.
    IMG_20210721_150605.jpg

13. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

14. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

These problems became acute after Tesla started to orbit the Earth. Musk launches another rocket with loads of communication satellites after every few weeks. Space tourism has started. Destruction of Earth wasn't so cool ever before.

15. AlainK

What's causation vs correlation ?

Their egoistic, inflated ego is the root of this totally off what our earth is at stake. Money, billions of whatever you call it, billions of money lost in a show that is "who has the biggest one?". "5 or 10 minutes high?" ?

Pityful.

How many schools, hospitals, food for the destitute does that make for a couple of millionaires to have 10-mn orgasm ?

So far, governments have spent a lot of money to be on the lead, OK, that's geopolitics, but at least, science was part of the trip. Here, Musk or Bezos, it's all the same, it's about money and their little self.

They don't add a single millimetre to mankind's evolution in the million-mile scale, they're just big vampires sucking the blood of the rest of us for their own pleasure. The oldest woman and the youngest boy on board ? So what ? What did they teach us ? that if you don't have much money, you can do bunjee-jumping but when you're a fortunate child your parents can pay millions so you become a star (for 10 minutes) ?

16. Keith Elliott

It doesn't seem to matter where you are. In Zhengzhou, China, over 200 mm of rain fell in under an hour. In Austria, a weather channel video showed flash floods literally washing people away. Here in B.C. we finally have a state of emergency due to the continuing dry heat and increasing forest fires.

We have been trying to take photos of the Crazy Creek Gorge fire, but the smoke has been so thick we have to guess where it is. That is about 20 kms away from St. Ives Provincial Park and the size hasn't been updated for at least four days now. The fire has been burning for 11 days, and my guess is that it is well over 1,000 hectares now. There is no attempt to put this one out yet, as others are more important.

IMG_6762.JPG IMG_6763.JPG

AlainK likes this.
  17. AlainK

Yes.

Different places, different disasters.

Maybe it's high time we think the earth as a treasure for everyone. I still drive a diesel car... ^_^

;-(

Keith Elliott likes this.
  18. dicky5ash

Please can you explain the correlation between Musk’s space endeavours and Earth’s destruction..I think the issue is closer to home myself

Margot, maf and Keith Elliott like this.
  19. dicky5ash

At least Trump is out..that gives Earth a chance..I hope it stays that way

Margot, Keith Elliott and AlainK like this.
  20. dicky5ash

I am an EV driver..but the global firm of accountants I work for has ditched the company car scheme..so in 2 years I’ll have to fork out £40k on one..£40k I don’t have lying about..so no option but to get an aspirated fuel car..absolute SHAME on my firm..I’ve told the partnership this.

Margot likes this.
  21. AlainK

Dreaming of a different world...

dicky5ash and Keith Elliott like this.
  22. Keith Elliott

I agree. Recently I have been listening to a number of prominent scientists who have in fact been forecasting these recent events as far back as 15 years ago. These events are no longer isolated or occasional happenings, they are now a daily occurrence.
    In 2018, when B.C. had one of its' worst fire seasons ever, there was one fire on the mountain right behind us, and another over at St. Ives. When they get this close, you pay attention really quickly.
    This morning, our man Jeff, who helps us out once in awhile, was here again. He lives over at Sicamous and he is now under an evacuation alert. It seems that a semi truck driver ran off the road, knocking over a telephone pole with a hydro transformer attached. It hit the ground and the ensuing sparks started a wildfire, which has spread unbelievably quickly. While that wasn't Mother Nature that caused that fire, the tinder dry fuel on the ground caught fire immediately and the result is devastating.

dicky5ash likes this.
  23. AlainK

1902 : Méliès was a genius in the history of cinema. he's the one who invented "special effects".

1'45"" from a film that lasts 15 ' or so, and you can find on the web :

(the whole picture :
    )

Doesn't that look absurdedly the same ?

dicky5ash likes this.
  24. dicky5ash

The problem is that if you look at global temperatures they do go up and down over a period of time so the global warming sceptics use this as a reason for doing absolutely nothing..even if the US get fully onboard under a new administration..the Far East are a rule to themselves and it looks unlikely that they will change .

I don’t think there is a clear way forward but if everyone does there best to act conscientiously it can’t be a bad thing..that doesn’t mean holidays abroad by plane need to be abstained

maf and Keith Elliott like this.
  25. Keith Elliott

It seems to me when I had a conversation with Dr. Wm. Weller in Nanaimo (local university professor) a number of years ago, that we discussed this very thing. I may not recall it quite right, but I believe we run on about a 400 year cycle, give or take a few seconds.
    At one point, the river Thames actually froze over, something not commonly seen.
    But with new all time high temperatures here, we may never get back to that cycle if we aren't extremely careful. On the bright side, I have my doubts that I will be around to see the next cold snap!

Margot and dicky5ash like this.