Mosses: 'Gathering Moss: A Natural and Cultural History of Mosses'

Discussion in 'Plants with Spores (Ferns, Mosses, et al.)' started by togata57, Jun 19, 2021.

1. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

The most primitive of plants, mosses lack flowers, fruits and seeds, have no roots, and no vascular system to conduct water internally, and yet there are 22,000 species, even if most are still so little known to the public that only a few have been given common names. The undisputed masters of their chosen environments, mosses succeed by inhabiting the places other plants cannot.

“We’re busy looking for biological, ecological and cultural solutions to climate chaos,” says Kimmerer. “But mosses, which have been with us ever since they arose, 400 million years ago, have endured every climate change that has ever happened.” Quite apart from what she regards as their unique beauty, their mere existence should, she thinks, lead us to ask certain questions. Why are they so resilient? What can they teach us? What secrets might they hold?

Robin Wall Kimmerer: ‘Mosses are a model of how we might live’

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I had already pre ordered this book after reading the article in the news yesterday. It is being released on the 1st July. I think I'm going to enjoy reading it very much in my garden with a coffee or two.
    Thanks @togata57 for highlighting it on the forum.

D

3. Acerholic

My book arrives tomorrow, I will let the forum know in a few days after reading what it's like.

D

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  4. Acerholic

Late last night I finished this lovely book just before going to sleep and I think by saying this, it shows what kind of book it is.
    It is not heavy reading at all, even though there are Latin names everywhere. But most if not all mosses are known by Latin names, so don't be put off reading this book because of this.
    I am not going to do a step by step appraisal, as I feel that if you are interested in gardens, nature and of course mosses then I would thoroughly reccomended it.
    My favourite chapter was The advantages of being small. Beautifully written, with a very personal touch.

D

Georgia Strait likes this.
  5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I picked it up from Indigo after reading this today. It's a lovely book, a bunch of essays, described as a mix of science and personal reflection. I'm enjoying it very much.