Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Wow R, Grass snakes in the gardens of Northampton, what next.
    A good one for this thread perhaps.
    Critters in my garden

D

2. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

I live bang next to a small wooded park..never seen a snake in my garden before!

3. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Omg Id die literally die.

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Stunning I really wanted to get one of these but all the ones I found were far too big for me. But the colours are stunning.

dicky5ash likes this.
  5. Acerholic

The heat is bringing them out, or under in your case. Bit of a shock for you finding it though R. I bet you will be a little more careful moving those pots now, lol.

D

6. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Very nice! At my parents' house nearby we often get them in the pond. (Many mature gardens and deep hedges in the locale.)

7. dicky5ash

I don’t have a pond..I gather they favour amphibious creatures for lunch…I reallocated him carefully over the fence..my kids would not go in the garden ever again if they saw it!

Lisa Harry and maf like this.
  8. maf

Proper helicopter:
    IMG_20210719_183924.jpg

Dissectum seedling I dug out of the gravel as a tiny one year old in spring:
    IMG_20210719_184556.jpg

Shishigashira and Osakazuki:
    IMG_20210719_185346.jpg

9. dicky5ash

That seedling looks real nice.. I’ve never managed to hang on to a cut leaf seedling..they have always ultimately snuffed it.

10. maf

The phone camera went off accidentally but I decided I liked the shot so kept it - Kinran in foreground, Oriental Mystery top left, Dissectum in back.
    IMG_20210719_191155.jpg

Oriental Mystery:
    IMG_20210719_184251.jpg

Orido nishiki in evening sun, the only sun it sees:
    IMG_20210719_184129.jpg

Edited, wrong photo of Oriental Mystery uploaded from phone

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  11. maf

Yeah, I intend to make a special effort to look after this guy. He seems healthy and must be pretty hardy as survived first year growing in old gravel over landscape fabric without being discovered or watered all year.

A few years back I had a really good crop of red dissectum seedlings from 'Inaba shidare' and all were doing well, very healthy, but I didn't realise what a good thing I had and sadly neglected them over the years (not repotted etc) and they gradually dwindled. Still have one left that was repotted this year, will have to post a pic some time.

dicky5ash likes this.
  12. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

A touch of red already appearing on my Linearilobum, bit earlier but hey ho.
    IMG_20210720_091406.jpg

Some new growth on my Amber Ghost.
    IMG_20210720_091423.jpg

And my beloved Olsen's Frosted Strawberry, still holding it's red despite being moved to a more shaded spot.
    IMG_20210720_091430.jpg

I needed cheering up as the building site over the road decided to start work at 6.30am this morning.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  13. Acerholic

Good morning everybody, before another hectic day, I thought I would capture some early morning dew on my maples to share.
    Black lace 306.JPG Red Sentinal 306.JPG Oshu shidare 306.JPG Coral pink 306.JPG Yasemin 306.JPG Brocade 306.JPG Aconitifolium 306.JPG Beni hime 306.JPG Ukigumo 306.JPG Azuma Murasaki 306.JPG
    They are Black lace, Red Sentinal, Oshu shidare, Coral pink, Yasemin, Brocade, Aconitifolium, Beni hime, Ukigumo and Azuma Murasaki.

14. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Before the sun sets the colors ablaze
    'Green Cascade'
    DSCN0992.jpeg DSCN0998.jpeg
    DSCN1015.jpeg DSCN1054.jpeg

15. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Just two shots of my very last purchase of the year (well ok, another Shirazz snuck into the box with it, but this was the main thing I bought....)

Super excited about Cascade Gold, which I'm hoping will bring the benefits of its parents without some of the - for me at least - drawbacks: the gorgeous weeping form of Ryusen (but I promised myself no more green trees!) with the colour of Orange Dream (but hopefully tougher and less prone to being a drama queen than my O.D. is!) It's a lovely big thing, so I can't wait to see how it gets on in the protected spot next to my little trees:

IMG_2273.jpg IMG_2275.jpg

(Edit: also amused at the timing of @wind-borne 's Green Cascade post just ahead of my Cascade Gold. Is there a theme here?)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  16. Nas

Nas Member

Leaves were all green when I purchased this Orangeola a week ago. The new flush of orange is what makes this tree one of the more interesting JMs mid-summer.

Attached Files:

17. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Raining today, but I got some photos over the last few days in the sun.

Amber Ghost x2, Shirazz, Summer Gold:

20210719 A. Ghost-1.jpg 20210719 A. Ghost-2.jpg 20210719 Shirazz.jpg 20210719 Summer Gold.jpg

Olsen's Frosted Strawberry, Uncle Ghost, Peaches & Cream, Beni Shigitatsu Sawa (left) & Shigitatsu Sawa (right) :

20210719 O. F. Strawberry.jpg 20210719 U. Ghost.jpg 20210719 P & C.jpg 20210719 A. ShigitatsuSawa, Shigitatsu Sawa.jpg

Autumn Moon, Grandma Ghost, Kotohime, Shirazz Pink Passion:

20210719 Autumn Moon.jpg 20210724 G.Ghost.jpg 20210724 Kotohime.jpg 20210724 Shirazz.jpg

Crimson Queen, Atropopureum, Beni Otake x 2

20210724 Crimson Queen.jpg 20210724 Atropopureum.jpg 20210724 Beni Otake-1.jpg 20210724 Beni Otake-2.jpg

(And lastly, the 50 lilies I planted this spring are all starting to bloom at once. My garden smells amazing)

20210724 Lilies-2.jpg

18. JoshuaL

JoshuaL Member

Hi, everybody.

I want to introduce myself. I am a new member here, but long-time lurker. My name is Joshua and I live in the metro area of Portland, Oregon, USA. I really appreciate all of your insight, expertise, and beautiful photos.

I love Japanese Maples specifically, and I love gardening and flora in general too. I am fortunate to live in an area of the world where a lot of the best Japanese Maple growers and nurseries are located.

My current maple list is:

Amber Ghost
    Autumn Moon
    Carnival
    Fireglow
    First Ghost
    Germaine's Gyration
    Hana Tsukasa
    Koto No Ito
    Marlo
    Mikawa Yatsubusa
    Mystic Mikawa
    Olsen's Frosted Strawberry
    Peaches and Cream
    Rainbow
    Seiryu
    Tennyo No Hoshi
    Twombly's Red Sentinel
    Villa Taranto

Multiple unidentified (I have some suspicions) mature Dissectums and uprights that I inherited when I purchased my home.
    Many Vine Maples (native to my area)

I don't have much more room to add new trees, but like a lot of you, I'm sure I will find a way to make room. Ha.

19. Acerholic

@JoshuaL Good afternoon and welcome to the maples forum. I am sure everyone would like to see some photos of your trees. If your unsure how to do this then have a look at this helpful link.
    Attach photos and files

D

JoshuaL and Keith Elliott like this.
  20. ChrisUk

ChrisUk Active Member

Stopped by the Batford Arboretum nursery and couldn't resist buying a new tree. :-)

Koto No Ito (see photo). That's one I've always wanted because of its interesting leaves and its colors in autumn.

I was wondering since I want to make sure it adapts slowly to its new conditions (as opposed to where it was at the nursery)...

is it ok/better for the tree to be mostly in full shade for the time being (to protect it from wind, and also from sun (where I've put it in the photo, only the top of the tallest branches would get a bit of sun in mid-late afternoon)

Thanks!

Attached Files:

21. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

My Koto gets a little early morning sun in the summer, catches some on top during the day not much though really and then the sun finally hits it after seven pm again in the summer, so it gets a lot of shade really and seems to be thriving in that position since I got it. It's also protected from the majority of wind by the conifers behind.
    IMG_20210729_092022.jpg
    Picture was taken at 9:25am, before the sun catches the top, which will probably be in an hour or so but not for too long before it rises behind it, I'm looking due south to take the snap.

22. ChrisUk

ChrisUk Active Member

Thanks!

Your tree looks really nice and healthy!

D97x7 likes this.
  23. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Ideal setting it seems... Great-looking specimen.

D97x7 likes this.
  24. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Acer 'Como' is still displaying variegation, and light pinkish hues on some of the leaves:

acerp-como_210730a.jpg

25. ChrisUk

ChrisUk Active Member

After a good rain today, the colors poped out tonight! So I thought it would be a good time to take a photo

Those maples are all in pot to protect them from the wind (in past few days) and heat/sun (the week before). So that means they were all close to each other as it was difficult to find a zone a bit sheltered from the wind and spread them out.

From left to right:
    - Koto No Ito (back)
    - Sango Kaku (front) - thanks to this one, it looks like it's already autumn, and is normally somewhere else in the garden (pot-in-pot)
    - Orangeola (front)
    - another Sango Kaku (back)
    - Enkan (front)
    - another small Orangeola (behind the enkan)
    - Orange Dream (back)

I can't wait to see all the autumn colors!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021