What are these weeds, and which weed killer should I get?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by icu222much, Jul 17, 2021.

1. icu222much

icu222much New Member

I have a bunch of weeds in my garden. Two weeks ago, I sprayed part of my yard with what I was told was weed killer, but it turned that part of my lawn brown! I'm looking to identify what sort of weeds I have, and what would be the best weed killer to use that will kill only the weeds and not my grass.

My lawn is about 3500 sqft. I also do have a portable multi-use tank sprayer.

I have attached 3 photos of the weeds I have. The first one contains all the weeds, plus a pen for size reference. The next two photos are close ups of the weeds. I believe the first weed on the left is Horsetail. The next one looks like a piece of grass, but grows at 6x the speed of my other grass. Not sure if this one is a weed, or a super grass.

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      733 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      716.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

The spray you used to kill weeds must have been a non-selective type which kills anything green. There are sprays available that kill everything except grass so it won't kill grasses that you consider weeds. Horsetail is almost impossible to kill with any weed killer.

What I see in your first photo, left to right, is 1. Horsetail 2. Grass? 3. Grass? 4. Grass? 5. Poa annua (a grass) 6. Dandelion 7. Black medic 8. White clover 9. Clover leaf
    I stand to be corrected.

3. icu222much

icu222much New Member

Thank you. Is there a particular weed killer that would be ideal to kill the weeds I have? Or would any general weed killer from Rona be suitable?

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I think it would be best for you to speak to someone knowledgeable at the store. As a general policy, I hand-pull most weeds in my garden and only use a weed killer as a last resort where it is impossible to get all the roots. Even then, I give a little squirt to individual weeds not a whole area.

5. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I agree with you Margot -
    1. Talk to the person with the license ;at the store)

2. Hand pull etc — there is no quick fix even with poison

3. I would be very careful of reading and following directions / do not use on windy day / do not use if you have kids and or pets that play on the lawn - or if there’s a farm next door etc ...

Obviously don’t pour rinse water or excess solution down the driveway and off it goes on to the salmon streams etc

I would not worry about clover - some gardens do well with it and it take less water and mowing etc

Thé blue grass is very desirable on some expensive golf courses

Clearly a lawn is not something we fuss over (suburbia-raised spouse tried for perfection in rainforest) —- anyway what I wonder is once the homeowner has killed patches on the lawn — does one wait to plant fill-in seed or what? Otherwise won’t weeds find opportunity to move back in?

——-

I notice the OP says to effect - they have a multi-purpose sprayer .... after using it for herbicide, I don’t think I’d use it for multi solutions and tasks no matter how well it’s « washed »

Margot likes this.
  6. Tyrlych

Tyrlych Rising Contributor 10 Years

#3 - Lolium sp.

7. icu222much

icu222much New Member

Thank you for your advices :)

8. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

9. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada