acer palmatum root stock prepping for grafting

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Otto Bjornson, May 31, 2021.

1. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Contributor

We ended up getting 50 AP root stock from our local propagation nursery who we had dealt with for years back in the day so we are going to graft a few specimens in August. I decided to make a short preparation video of "how to prepare the root stock". This is the process we did every year prior to grafting.
    I will also post a detailed "how to " grafting video in early August. Of course it is the approach we took and overall our success rate was always very reasonable with a low of 63% and a high of 79% over the 17 years we operated.
    Close friends of ours are starting a nursery in the interior of BC ( Slocan) and japanese maples will be part of their inventory. We will pass the reigns over to them as they will be hands on and learn the art of grafting this summer.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good down to earth instruction Otto. No doubts of how to prepare rootstock for anyone watching.

Otto Bjornson likes this.
  3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Otto,

I noticed you speak of 8-9 mm width, but later in the video, you use inches (4 to 6 inches : 10 à 15 cm), still a subject of Her Majesty, the metric system having been implemented I think in 1974, but an "American" at the same time, huh, huh...

I long for episode 2 because I've never ever made a successful graft.

I first tried late winter grafting, then 2 or 3 summer grafts, and if of course I should have tried more, it's always disappointing when you think yourself a "savvy maple grower" - showing off actually, and it fails... ^_^

LoverOfMaples and Otto Bjornson like this.
  4. Otto Bjornson

haha, yes, as the video is viewed on both sides of the pond I try to reference both forms of measurement.

And on the grafting front if you have fruit trees or other small Deciduous trees, hold off on trimming back some of the new growth until grating time as you can practice the precise cutting technique on those limbs before heading to surgery. I will explain all details when I do post the grafting video

5. AlainK

Thanks for your advice Otto.

I've got a couple of rootstock maples, and cultivars that I wanted to have a try with. I'll keep yopu updated.

PS : went to an old friend of mine yesterday, she's in a pretty bad depression at the moment, but your music helped her to feel a bit better, honestly.

6. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Ive tired summer grafting for the last 2 years with no success (came close last year but not close enough). ill be patiently waiting on your video in Aug.

7. Otto Bjornson

We always had a shade house within the green house when we had our nursery running. That way the young grafts would be shaded from the intense heat. I decided to build a mini shade house for the few root stock that I will be grafting in about a month from now.
    Good thing we have a habit of not throwing things out as one never knows when odds and ends may come in handy.

Also, anyone who may be interested in grafting, don't cut back all of your fruit tree shoots if you do have fruit trees. The shoots are excellent practice material prior to grafting. I will explain all in the next video once grafting time starts.

Attached Files:

AlainK, Philippe Vranken and maf like this.
  8. LoverOfMaples

I cant wait!

9. AlainK

I can ! Until otto gives me some advice to, at least, succed in grafting maples - LOL

I'm not sure the "rootstock" I have have the right diameter or else for an optimum graft, but I'll try again.

10. LoverOfMaples

Lol

11. Otto Bjornson

Here is a preparation and practice video I just finished up. Grafting starts in 2-3 weeks. The sine wood is pretty much ready to go on most cultivators now. I will watch the weather and look for a long range pattern with normal temps. and hopefully a little rain as well.
    So this is part one, practice your cuts now before the real McCoy takes place,

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  12. Philippe Vranken

Philippe Vranken New Member

Thanks for the video! Looking forward to the next part. Planning on grafting next year so these help out a lot.

13. Otto Bjornson

good morning everyone!
    With this heat wave and combo of dry weather ( now a record for BC for no rain ) I am going to be grafting this morning. The temps are only going to get warmer over the next few days so this is my best window to graft. The sine wood has been ready to go for a couple of weeks now. I am up at 4 am today and am watering all the specimens for a couple hours prior to cutting the sine wood. This will get moisture into the limbs and optimize the grafting process.

I should be grating by 6 - 6:30 am. I never graft past 9 a.m. in the morning as things warm up too much. I will be posting a step by step video late today or tomorrow with full details and close ups of my technique. I am planning to do 8 - 10 different cultivators (5-6 of each)
    Just need a little java into the veins and a light bite to eat then away I go.

14. LoverOfMaples

Should the rootstock be watered as well?

15. AlainK

I think it's in a video Otto made, I'm pretty sure he said the rootstock should be well-watered so the bark peels off more easily.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  16. Otto Bjornson

Yes, as Alain mentioned, we water the root stock twice a day actually leading up to grafting

17. Otto Bjornson

And here is the grafting video

D97x7, LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  18. LoverOfMaples

Very nice video @Otto Bjornson. I really appreciate it.

Scion wood, is that this year growth? Does that matter?

19. Otto Bjornson

Yes, most important, only this years growth. You would notice right away as a previous years growth would be very difficult to cut into as it would be way to hard

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  20. AlainK

Thank you very much for these explanations.

21. Otto Bjornson

I had a few questions asking about the scion wood, what to cut, etc. So here is the final video in the grafting series!

AlainK, Acerholic and D97x7 like this.
  22. Riverdale27

Riverdale27 Active Member

Thanks a lot for both video's Otto! Now I just gotta do it and see how it works out.
    You think I can put them inside my garden shed in front of the window? They will never get sun there, only indirect light.
    The challenge is keeping them moist if you're out to work from 6 am until 7 pm... Maybe I can build me a case with some plastic around it and mist them in the mornign and evening?

An alternative would be to put them outside in the shade in some kind of transparant box, and mist them every hour or so with my timer on the hose

23. Otto Bjornson

@Riverdale27 , I would opt for outside in the shade and mist with a timer. If you can pick up a bit of remay cloth? It is a very light white cloth that allows good airflow but can help to retain a bit of moisture. You would just throw it over top and no special box required

AlainK likes this.
  24. Riverdale27

Riverdale27 Active Member

Oh sure I have got enough of that cloth. So you say just put them outside in permanent shade, throw the cloth over those plants, and mist every X minutes?

25. Otto Bjornson

yes that is correct. If it is hot and sunny out then of course you will have to mist more often. Rainy weather would require much less misting. And regular watering of the pots daily as you normally would aside from the misting.

Acerholic likes this.