Ukigomo ‘Floating Clouds’ disease or —?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by EmmaBee, Jul 13, 2021.

1. EmmaBee

EmmaBee New Member

I planted this beautiful maple spring 2020 in a spot formerly occupied by a forsythia. It get’s full morning sun but after about 1pm is shaded by a large fir. It started beautifully in spring with very white leaves and then … stasis. The leaves didn’t grow much bigger, and upon close inspection they look deformed—some of them have a bubbled texture, and since spring despite a very few new leaves it has slowly gotten slightly sadder looking. I try to keep it watered but not over watered (I hope—the ferns and hostas near it are fine). So I’m not sure what’s going on or what to do.
    Help appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. EmmaBee

EmmaBee New Member

Here’s the whole tree in May, June, and July.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning Emma. I'm afraid your Ukigumo is just suffering from the extreme heat you have been experiencing in BC. This is a very sun sensitive tree amongst maples. I know you have it in afternoon shade but with temperatures over 40°C you will get some damage I'm afraid.
    So IMO it will be fine.

D

4. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

My Ukigumo’s don’t get any direct sun, only dappled morning sun…I did wonder whether they are getting enough but no ill effects over several years..I appreciate its tricky to find suitable spots, particularly when planted.

5. EmmaBee

EmmaBee New Member

Thank you!
    Oh wow — i have the perfect shaded spot to move this to then—I should wait til fall though, right?
    Any thoughts on the leaf deformities?

6. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

I’d not move it right now unless it was getting fried to death and there was a real risk of losing it.. I moved a large crimson queen mid-summer a few years ago as it was getting fried..I got away with it..but summer moves are risky.

As Derek mentioned the leaves will curl up and look unhappy if it’s getting too much sun.

7. EmmaBee

EmmaBee New Member

Thank you very much everyone!

Acerholic likes this.