Vitax Acer Feed

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maf, Jul 9, 2021.

1. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I was thinking of getting some slow release fertiliser and browsing the Vitax (UK brand, not sure if products are available in Europe, and certainly won't be in N. America) offerings when I noticed they now sell an organic Acer Feed. I think it has been out for a couple of years now but this was the first time I had seen it. The product is in pelleted form, the NPK is 4.5:4.5:4.5, also contains trace elements and one feed is said to last all season. Sounded good, so I bought a pouch to try.

I searched the forum, only found one reference to a guy using it, and like me it was his first time and he was waiting to see how well it did. Therefore thought I would start a thread on this product and update later with how I think it has performed.

No information on the pack as to ingredients, but given the NPK I imagine it is a blend of several different products to arrive at those numbers. It did remind me somewhat of the smell of alfalfa pellets which I have used in the past so I would not be surprised if there was some alfalfa or similar meal in the pellets.

I will post some pictures below and would love to hear any feedback from others who may have tried it.
    IMG_20210709_182913.jpg IMG_20210709_183424.jpg IMG_20210709_184320.jpg IMG_20210709_185344.jpg

Xi-feng, Jaybee63 and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Will watch your results with great interest M.

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Does it say what the source of the N is, Maf?

4. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

I used a few bags of it a couple of years ago..mixed it with sharp sand and vertically mulched it..it didn’t have any detrimental effects! Out of interest is it too late to fertilise now?

maf likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Definatly R. You really don't want soft new growth appearing in September. I only fertilize at the beginning of May. Others might disagree, but that's what I do.

D

dicky5ash likes this.
  6. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

I bought a pack of this at the start of the year and mixed a sprinkle into the soil when I repotted lots of maples in Spring, along with a few pellets on top of the soil of the ones that stayed put and didn't get repotted. All have put out new growth this spring like crazy, both repotted and those that just got the top-soil addition, though I can't say whether it's down to the Vitax or whether it's just the unusual weather that's made them so happy. In any case, it hasn't hurt them in the slightest!

(One unforeseen circumstance to be careful of if you have pets, though: I don't know what is in these pellets, but it drove my dogs nuts and they were digging at the soil to try and eat the pellets. Had to keep a very close eye on them for a week after adding to the pots, because they could clearly smell the pellets and wanted them very badly. Most dogs aren't as stupid as my Chihuahuas, granted, but just a heads-up to take care and make sure four-legged friends are safe!)

maf likes this.
  7. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

It's probably got bone meal in it then Xi, which is actually an ingredient of some dog foods, I had the same problem with my two mastiffs when I mixed BM into the soil for my veg.
    I also used some of the Vitax around my maples in the ground this year, all seem to be growing well, I had the powdered one though not the pellets.

maf and Xi-feng like this.
  8. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Ohhhh!! You know I hadn't even thought of that, but all three creatures (even the one who isn't a stomach on legs) were obsessed with getting at the Vitax, so that makes a lot of sense!

Dogs... they're a joy, aren't they? Hehehe.

D97x7 likes this.
  9. maf

No, there is no information as to ingredients whatsoever, and no indication whether the nitrogen is in the form of ammonia or whatever.

10. maf

I have just used nearly a whole bag on my container maples. I would have preferred to do it slightly earlier in the year but I think now is fine for this product as it is not high in nitrogen and is organic and naturally slow release. I did reduce the dose to about 70-80% of recommended. It might be too late to use some of the stronger slow release chemical fertilizers.

I never fertilize maples in the spring until all danger of frost has passed, which in practical terms means starting in late May where I live. I feel the growth in heavily fertilized maples can be sensitive to frost damage while natural or unforced growth is much hardier. Really it is the same as what people say about feeding in the autumn or late summer, but applied to the spring instead.

11. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Thanks for your thoughts @maf
    I never fertilised at all until 3 years ago and focused on trees I’d not repotted that year. I’ve seen some huge growth on Aconitifolium, Yasmin, Tsuma Gaki and Crispifolium this year..strangely not so much on Emerald Lace..but that went nuts last year after repotting it into a galvanised retro bath lol

maf likes this.