Oak Tree

Discussion in 'Fagaceae (beeches, oaks, etc.)' started by Alesig, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Alesig

Alesig New Member

Does anyone know what is causing the leaves on my oak tree to turn brown? Can I do anything about it? I am afraid it might die.

Attached Files:

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Quite a few Garry Oaks in my garden are turning alarmingly brown. I attribute it to lack of water, year after year. I expect they'll look great again next spring but wonder how many years of such stress they can handle. I watched Thuja plicata (Western Red Cedar) in this area decline for many years before so many began to die. It's very tragic.

3. Alesig

Alesig New Member

The tree is getting lots of water. I am surprised to hear that lack of water could be the cause. Heat might be another story. Nevertheless, it will get another good soaking tomorrow. Thanks!

4. Margot

I wouldn't argue that heat could be a problem but, for comparison's sake, I have many Garry Oaks in full sun with no browning leaves despite our 40+C temperatures last week. Maybe a combination of heat and lack of water in my case at least. I'd take a picture but it's very difficult for my camera to home in on the yellowing leaves.

5. Alesig

Alesig New Member

I am not yet convinced that it is lack of water. I took pictures showing how the spots start out. They feel thicker and rough from the rest of the leaf. However, if you say that it is how lack of water would show up I will with relieve take your word for it as I should be able to save the tree by giving it more water.

Attached Files:

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  7. Margot

Are you positive that your oak tree is a Garry Oak (Quercus garryana)? It may not make any difference to figuring out what is browning the leaves but the pictures you sent earlier today show leaves that seem more elongated than those on my trees and the trunk from your first set of photos isn't what I would expect. (That's not very scientific is it?)

For comparison, here are some photos from a Garry Oak. It was hard to find any leaves not affected by jumping gall wasps but do show a rounder shape overall.

Garry Oak Leaves.JPG Garry Oak Tree Trunk.JPG

8. Alesig

Alesig New Member

Yes, I planted it in Edmonton on June 20th 1999 (still have the receipt LOL). I checked under a magnifying glass for any pests but could not see anything. I am wondering if it is a fungus. Tried the web site but could not get anywhere with it.

9. Alesig

Alesig New Member

It is a Burr Oak. I don't think it makes a difference. Since it cannot do any harm when having temperatures of 30+C I gave it another good soak.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  10. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Tried the web site but could not get anywhere with it.
    You type "oak" in the search line, invoke a search and then get a list of links to descriptions and photos of oak diseases.

11. Margot

Thank you for recommending that link, Ron. I have already filed it as I can tell it will be a very useful resource.

12. Alesig

Alesig New Member

Thanks! I am quite sure it is the oak leaf blister. I am relieved that it will not kill the tree.

13. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

As an aside, when you say "plenty of water", do you mean frequent shallow waterings or infrequent deep waterings?

14. Alesig

Alesig New Member

This made me wonder if it's a deep watering and I went out and checked. I can push with ease a dandelion weeder right down to the handle which makes it at least 8". May I assume that this suffice? I already said I will have to skip town when the water bill arrives LOL

Georgia Strait likes this.
  15. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Do any of your neighbors have same type of oak ?

If yes, are those trees happy healthy so far?

Your garden looks very nice - lots of vegetables ?

Your long hours of summer sun make a difference even a little bit north

My spouse is from the old part of town along Ada Blvd and they have nice established trees there, for sure. Grisebach (spell?) has pretty trees too

16. Alesig

Alesig New Member

I have not seen any Oak trees in in our neighborhood. Our sun lives 15 minutes away by car has one too. His is doing just fine.
    Yes, we have a big garden. We grow a lot of vegetables. It is unreal how fast everything grows. Starting with freezing and pickling is just a little over a week away. We always fill big drums with water and let it sit to water the garden early in the mornings with a watering can.
    Ada Blvd - beautiful area. Edmonton is indeed a very green city. We appreciate the many green spaces.