Potted Calamondin - Not for human consumption

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by tomatillotransfer, Jul 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. tomatillotransfer

tomatillotransfer New Member

Hi,

I am new to growing things :)

I bought a calamondin tree this year (in around April) from a garden center, and after the fact, I noticed that the label on it says: "Warning: Not meant for human consumption".

Could someone help me understand why this is? Is it because of pesticide use? Could I maybe wait like a year, and use next year's fruits if it's pesticide related?

I've attached pictures of the label.

Thanks

20210701_095047.jpg 20210701_095041_HDR.jpg

2. Will B

Will B Active Member

I don't think that is something we could really answer. Best to ask the garden center where you got it and they can ask the grower if they don't know. It is plausible they sprayed or put something in the soil that is only meant for ornamental plants.

3. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I suppose, that these ornamental fruits taste just so bitter and tart, that you won't like to eat these. So, to avoid any possible complaints, they put this warning there.

4. Will B

Will B Active Member

Maybe, but calamondin are a favourite in some cuisines and most growers that know about it would assume human consumption. They are certainly sour, like a lemon or a lime, but they are consumed all the time. I would not risk the possibility they used something toxic and put that warning to avoid a lawsuit after spraying it with chemicals only meant for ornamentals.

5. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I got (as a gift) a similar mini calamondin with similar warning. I ate all these fruits (it was winter time and I thought that I need some vitamin C). I saw no adverse effects to my health. But these fruits were really bitter and I had to use a lots of sugar to hide this bitterness.
    If these fruits were poisonous, then they wouldn't fit for animal consumption either.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  6. Will B

Will B Active Member

Calamondins are not bitter and are not poisonous. They are delicious and very sour, not bitter. They are known by many other names, such as calamansi, phillipine lime, etc. Here are our notes on Calamondin: Calamondin | Aprici ... however, none of this precludes the grower from spraying or using chemicals that are not meant to be consumed. That is why I mention we cannot actually answer the original question.

If the grower sprayed or used in the soil "ornamental only" potentially cancer causing chemicals then the fruit may be considered harmful if ingested. Some chemicals do not have an effect until many years later, so it is much better to be safe than sorry and ask why the warning is there. If they say it is only because the fruit is sour then no problem! If they say we applied a cancer causing chemical that persists in the fruit then best not to eat it!

7. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

My calamondins were definitely both bitter and sour. Especially smaller fruits were more bitter, larger fruits were just acidific.

If the grower put this "not for human consumption" warning to avoid people to eat poisoned fruits, them they still risk with pets.

8. Will B

Will B Active Member

Not really, some cancer causing chemicals take 20+ years to cause a problem. Well beyond the lifetime of most pets, but not people...anyway, my message is "better safe than sorry, so ask the source since we cannot say what they did". Not interested in taking this thread further since we cannot say what they did and potential issues are an endless debate so it is pointless to discuss.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  9. SoCal2warm

SoCal2warm Active Member

They probably have to put that warning on there so that certain food regulations will not apply, relating to the type of fertilizer they are using.
    If the fertilizer they are using contains animal manure, maybe they cannot sell the tree as "edible".
    Or in other words the fruits that are on the tree right now cannot be sold as food, under the regulations.

10. tomatillotransfer

tomatillotransfer New Member

Thanks everyone. I'm disapointed I didn't see this label before I purchased. I'll keep growing it though.

11. Will B

Will B Active Member

You really should ask the garden center what was used. Depending on what was used it should be fit for human consumption at some point. I don't know of anything that renders it unfit for over a year, so at least a year might be a good enough time to wait if you don't know... but there are many things I don't know so take "at least a year" as an opinion and nothing else. The grower is the one that has all the real information on your particular plant.