Easy-to-Care Indoor Vine Plants

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by icu222much, Jul 4, 2021.

1. icu222much

icu222much New Member

I have a few shelves on my bookshelf I'm looking to fill with vines that would string along the edge of the shelf for that cozy-look. My requirements are:
    • easy to care for
    • not toxic to humans or dogs
    • does not attract insects
    • requires minimal watering
    • likes the shade
    I live in Vancouver, BC. Any indoor plant suggestions?

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Since the vine you are looking for will serve mainly as an interior design element, I'd seriously consider buying a good-quality silk plant. The fact that you envision it trailing along the edge of the shelf would mean that it couldn't easily be removed - something of a problem for a living plant. For example, live plants need thorough watering once in a while and if you left the plant on the shelf, that would risk the pot overflowing and damaging your books. Giving the plant minimal water to avoid overflowing may not suit the plant's requirements.

Besides that, dusting the shelves would be more difficult too if vines are permanently strung along a shelf.

If you are determined to have a living plant, I suggest you go into a well-stocked garden centre so you can see what's available and talk to someone who can help you choose.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

It's a conundrum. There are vining plants that do well in low light---but are toxic; there are v.p. that are not toxic but need brighter light.

As you mention dogs, not cats, you would probably be OK with my first thought, a pothos. If the plant is up on a high shelf, I'm thinking it would be dog-proof, unreachable and therefore un-munchable.

Pothos can be grown successfully in water: you could get a vigorous cutting and place it in a suitable vase/jar/container that would look good on the shelf. A narrow-necked vessel will allow little evaporation, so water would need to be added only infrequently.

If you added lighting, your plant-choice options would increase.

Could you post a photo of the shelves in question?

Here is an article you may find of interest:
    Climbing Plants Safe for Pets | Leaf and Paw

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  4. icu222much

icu222much New Member

01.jpg 02.jpg

So the shelfs are actually above this small counterspace. I took the photos at 9am. The red arrow on the first photo is North. The patio door in the second photo is facing South East. The only source of light for these shelves are from the window behind the eating table (first photo), and the patio door (in reflection of second photo).

Pothos are pretty interesting. Will the vines "drop" their leaves? I'm worried that my dog may eat a leaf that has fallen onto the floor.

5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Thanks for the photos.

Pothos, like any plant, will lose a leaf from time to time. In my experience with pothos this happens infrequently, so chances are pretty good that you'd get the leaf before your dog would. Also, leaves slowly turn yellowish beforehand, so you have some warning.

Handy that the shelves have a nearby sink! Convenient for watering.

Are those recessed light fixtures above the shelves? Could these be utilized plant-wise?

I like the idea of a colored-glass bottle or jar on your shelves---would look good with the sunlight shining through.

I think you have some possibilities here---pothos, philodendron, a trailing plant. As Margot suggested, go to a good local nursery and look around. What plant catches your eye? Look to see if it is labeled as low-light tolerant. If not labeled, ask.

How about your patio? Any plant plans there?

6. icu222much

icu222much New Member

Thank you for the ideas.

I think I'll leave my lighting fixtures as-is.

My wife has her own little garden going on in the patio :)

7. wildflower

wildflower New Member

Hoyas like low light, rarely drop leaves, are supposed to be non-toxic and even have amazing flowers. Also mermaid vines like lowlight and rarely drop leaves but mine have never flowered. Sorry I dont know if toxic.
    Just make sure theres a big water dish under them.