Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Thanks, it's sitting against a fence at the moment that runs north to South, so it gets sun from sun rise until around 11am then dappled sun until around 1pm, definitely my favourite at the moment.

Yes I would definitely recommend Iijima Sunago, I'd not heard of it until a collector mentioned it on Facebook, glad he did.

Xi-feng likes this.
  2. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Hmm, so not super-high levels of light then! If it's not the sun it must be something you're doing that it's responding to so well - I definitely tip my hat to you! :)

It's not one I've heard of before either, but yours is so pretty: I suspect resistance is futile...

Keith Elliott and D97x7 like this.
  3. D97x7

Same light for the Ghosts as well actually, I will move them, but for now they're just sitting on a little table where I can enjoy the view
    IMG_20210627_100216.jpg

4. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Serious plant envy!

D97x7 likes this.
  5. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

OMG @Xi-feng I just love your garden all the time so beautiful

Xi-feng likes this.
  6. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

@D97x7 Your trees are so lovely what kind of light do you need for your Olsons frosted Strawberry and Iijima Sunago?

7. D97x7

Thank you, the Olsen's just get sun until around 1pm, the Iijima is getting it pretty much all day at the moment, this is UK sun though which does sound quite different to what I've been reading you have been getting in with weather thread.

Lisa Harry and Xi-feng like this.
  8. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning, well it was dry at 0500hrs this morning, so I took some photos to share. Glad I did as it's pouring down now.
    My dissectums are just going over into Summer colours now, so this is what I'm posting today.
    Inaba shidare 282.JPG Felice 282.JPG Pink filigree lace 282.JPG Waterfall 282.JPG Red dragon 282.JPG Ornatum 282.JPG Emerald lace 282.JPG Goshiki shidare 282.JPG Orangeola 282.JPG Brocade 282.JPG
    They are:- Inaba shidare, Felice, Pink filigree lace,Waterfall, Red dragon, Ornatum, Emerald Lace, Goshiki-shidare, Orangeola and Brocade.

zfrittz, ROEBUK, dangerine49 and 4 others like this.
  9. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Thanks. This is very uncommon for us. We normally call June - Junuary

10. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Purple ghost slowly transitioning into it's summer purple colour now , will be a wonderful deeper purple come mid July then you can see where it gets it's name. Then a shot of the bottom patio guys really coming along now , lots of weeding to day before the rain came. Finally a picture from last week another big tree gone to a new home so that's six large trees gone now in three weeks, can finally get out of the back gate with out trying to dodge round trees , felt like a assault course at times "Cheered me up with maples" let me tell you. Bye bye Mr Viridis we had fun over the past 16 years, wish every one turned up with a tail gate lift on their trucks makes life so much easier to load. Six down 140 to go, ha ha ha :)

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

Don't know how you are able to let them go M. All looking beautiful btw.

D

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  12. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Easy D , just don't get to attached to them i have had numerous years of pleasure out of them all , now other people will get the same enjoyment has i did , plus it's gone to a huge cracking garden just outside York and will be in a lovely spot and well cared for.

13. Acerholic

That's always good to hear M, something I know Luke wants for his trees.

D

14. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Stunning collection

15. Acerholic

Good morning, well it's dry, but what a night of thunder storms here in Southern England. So here are a few more dissectums from a bleary eyed Acerholic... Lol.
    Green dissectum 282.JPG Garnet 282.JPG Zaaling 282.JPG Crimson Queen 282.JPG Flavescens 282.JPG Dr Brown 282.JPG Red feather 282.JPG English lace 282.JPG Hana matoi 282.JPG Filigree 282.JPG
    They are Green dissectum, Garnet, Zaaling, Crimson Queen, Flavescens, Dr Brown, Red Feather, English lace, Hana Matoi and Filigree.

D

16. D97x7

Morning D, looking at all your lovely dissectums the thought crossed mind, I wonder if anyone has ever tried to cross one with Ukigumo, or perhaps they have, I think that would be a beautiful cultivar if they did.

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  17. Acerholic

Good morning N, Oh what a wonderful dissectum that would be. I don't think it's been tried yet, but maybe it has and it's just being monitored. Someone like T Buckholtz or Mr Maple are the ones coming out regularly with new cultivars, so perhaps it's already in the making. I know Tim and Matt Nichols always welcome comments in their YouTube videos, so perhaps the question there??

D

D97x7 likes this.
  18. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Early summer 'Seiryu' tips transitioning...
    DSCN9606.jpeg DSCN9589.jpeg

A circinatum leaf pushes its way out of the shade for a sunburn or tan depending on your perspective
    DSCN9515.jpeg

as the top settles into its color of the moment
    DSCN9525.jpeg

zfrittz, ROEBUK, dangerine49 and 6 others like this.
  19. Acerholic

20. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Seiryu which is very new to me has a couple different coloured leaves all of a sudden? Is this it transitioning or sun burning? I think it looks lovely but want to get in front of anything that might harm it. I do think it might be new growth but I haven’t had it very long at all, maybe 2 weeks, the rest of the tree is all green still. Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    zfrittz, ROEBUK, Xi-feng and 2 others like this.
  21. Acerholic

Good morning, as the theme atm is new growth, I thought I would follow suit today with a few of mine.
    Beni tsukasa 287.JPG Matsukaze 287.JPG Summer gold 287.JPG Vics pink 287.JPG Red wine 287.JPG Iijima sunago 287.JPG Ruby stars 287.JPG Arakawa 287.JPG
    They are Beni tsukasa, Matsukaze, Summer gold, Vics pink, Red wine,Iigima Sunago, Ruby Stars and Arakawa.

22. Del

Del Well-Known Member Maple Society

F3DA49E6-19C6-4708-8237-0BD19525C087.jpeg 4FE11BDC-C552-436F-91BF-57509AEC45E2.jpeg
    A.P. Nigrum showing lovely black colouring

23. Acerholic

24. Acerholic

Good morning, well it seems quite an uneventful day here in Southern England compared to what is happening in BC atm. Temperatures are still very comfortable to sit in the garden at all times of the day. It looks like it's going to be a nice day today.
    So I thought I would continue with the theme of second flush leaves and Summer colour from a few minutes ago.
    Starfish 288.JPG Metamorphosa 288.JPG Japanese sunrise 288.JPG Johin 288.JPG Butterfly 288.JPG Deshojo 288.JPG Westonbirt red 288.JPG Geisha 288.JPG Jordan 288.JPG Mikawa yatsubusa 288.JPG
    They are:- Starfish, Metamorphosa, Japanese Sunrise, Johin, Butterfly, Deshojo, Westonbirt Red, Geisha, Jordan and Mikawa yatsabusa.

Cattwooduk, AlainK, zfrittz and 9 others like this.
  25. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Some pics taken this morning.
    Pic 5 Very happy with my No1 Bihoo this year, No2 sister plant seems to continue to deteriorate

Attached Files: