What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I think it is time to start planning on creating more shade for our trees. These extremes are going to become the norm....... But 39 and 40°C, how does one keep maples thriving or alive in those temperatures!!?????

D

Otto Bjornson likes this.
  2. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Contributor

will be a test for all plants and gardeners this coming week. Definitely morning and evening watering for all the containers

Acerholic likes this.
  3. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

Wow! Now that is starting to get seriously warm for Chilliwack. If it's that warm down your way, I can only imagine what it's going to hit here in the North Shuswap.

Clear here this morning and 17.8º as we speak. Forecast unchanged at 33ºC for today.

4. Acerholic

I don't know if you have seen J @zfrittz and @monicasanchez postings from last year, but they had heat regularly in the 40°C + for many weeks and they kept their trees looking good.
    Perhaps we all have something to learn from our Spanish friends. The learning never stops with gardening.......

D

monicasanchez likes this.
  5. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Let's just hope for the best. So far 3 forecasted rains (meaning - rainy days) haven't shown up here. We haven't got a drop.

6. Acerholic

I have everything crossed for you Sulev.

D

7. Keith Elliott

When I was out earlier this morning, I spotted a sight rarely seen up this way. A small tug on the lake pulling a small boom. Yes, that's him between the trees.

There would hardly be a day down at the coast when we didn't see one or more booms every day, no matter the weather.

IMG_5498.JPG

Otto Bjornson and Acerholic like this.
  8. Keith Elliott

Today's forecast was for 33º. We hit 39.7º in the shade and 55º in the sun. Man, was it hot. Fortunately, tomorrow it's going to cool down thank goodness. Only 31º and possible thundershowers in the afternoon and/or evening.

I'm still showing 29.7º here and even the weather channel says we are 27º but feels like 32º. This does not bode well for the forest fire season at all.

9. Acerholic

Goodness Keith, that is something I can't even imagine. I don't think anyone can actually acclimatise to those temperatures, but perhaps you have ??

D

10. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Not a cloud in the sky, think I'll be moving these shortly.
    IMG_20210623_080957.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  11. Acerholic

But aren't they just loving the early morning sunshine N... Lovely colours with a blue sky beyond.

It's going to be a nice one for the South today.

D

D97x7 likes this.
  12. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I do not for a moment think that it is not very (unbearably) hot there in Anglemont these days. But something is wrong when you report 55º. Take a look here at the parameters set out for taking outdoor temperatures.

How to Measure Temperature Correctly

Acerholic likes this.
  13. Acerholic

Good morning Margot.
    It is a difficult one to measure in the sun. I have driven on tracks and airfields in training and the tarmac temperature has been measured at 15 °C hotter than the air temperature in full afternoon sun. (professional equipment).
    I did see on the news that parts of the US had hit 53°C this week. I can see why they call it Death Valley!!
    But my point is, that this was measured again with professional equipment, so a home thermometer might well be a few degrees out.

Still quite unbearable though.

D

14. Margot

Maybe difficult for most of us but meteorologists who record high and low temperatures in various jurisdictions have better equipment and guidelines that are to be trusted more than us with our little thermometers.

My home weather station says that we reached 42C today . . . the lying little thing. It wasn't all that hot at all though it will be starting Friday.

wind-borne and Acerholic like this.
  15. Acerholic

LOL.

16. Keith Elliott

@Margot, I'm sure the bigshots have all kinds of fancy taxpayer funded gadgets to measure temperature. I'm quite happy with a plain old thermometer set outside by my veggie patch. The electronic gadget in in the shade here.
    I see that the weather network, this very morning, has announced that there is a heat dome coming over us now which usually resides down south over the Texas area. This is unprecedented and is expected to bring official highs at Kamloops (just down the road a bit from here) of 43ºC.
    Maybe your 42º isn't that far off after all.
    At 6 a.m. it is 19.5º here, only going to 30ºC today with cloud rolling in later. Not a cloud to be seen yet.
    I put some shade cloth on top of the "cage" where the potatoes are growing yesterday.

Lisa Harry likes this.
  17. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Still strong marine protection here with 17˚ forecasted high today...

When the heat wave hits this weekend we look at 24˚ as a high temp one day.
    On the other side of the coastal range is another story, 40˚

Margot, Keith Elliott and Lisa Harry like this.
  18. Keith Elliott

Exactly. Until you experience the difference once you get over the coastal range, it's often difficult to understand quite why it gets so hot here. I envy your lovely cool temperature!

19. Margot

That sounds perfect to me! It seems every time I look at our forecast, the highs are higher than predicted the day before . . . our home thermometers always register a few degrees higher than the official forecast. I don't handle the heat well and I worry about the garden. I'm used to occasionally throwing a sheet over my rhodos to protect the buds from possible frost damage and now I wonder if it would help to throw a sheet over the smaller maples to shield them from sun damage. (Most are in the shade, luckily.)
    This week's forecast.png

Keith Elliott likes this.
  20. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

These rules, how meteorological thermometers for measuring ambient temperatures should be placed, are for the sake of comparability. Meteorologists are looking for comparable data about medium conditions, they are not looking for extremes. Home thermometers are accurate enough for measuring temperatures, both medium conditions and extremes. But as long as they are not placed into comparable conditions, several factors can affect the result. As long as you provide conditions, how did you measure, together with your readings (even just on a photo like I did), it's clear and objective way to inform others, what temperatures you got. If you don't follow standards and don't provide background information about how you measured, then you give just useless numbers.

21. Keith Elliott

Holy Smoke! You're getting 36º on Sunday!!! We're only getting 39º on Sunday, but 41º and 42º on Monday and Tuesday. I see they are now suggesting that Canada's all time high of 45º may well be broken in the next week. As much as I love the sun, that's going to be a toughie. Beach time right in the lake I think.

22. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Hey @Margot I just used a cloth garden shade 40% uv reduction on my younger JM and found it to be a much cooler space, today I was hoping to bring home my temperature gun and get a reading by how much and I’ll post some findings.

Attached Files:

Margot, Acerholic and Keith Elliott like this.
  23. Keith Elliott

Good idea. I should find mine to see what things are really like.

It is much cooler here early this afternoon with high cloud coming in. Really very nice now. Only 28.8º.

Margot, Acerholic and Lisa Harry like this.
  24. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

So in an effort to protect my young ones in the coming heat wave (next 5 days should be unusually HOT) and on very short time (had to run back to work again tonight) I’ve applied another shade cloth. I had like no room under the deck anymore. Please ignore the disaster which is my garden bed, I have yet to decide what to do with this section of my yard, but for right now it will shelter the younger trees. There are a few I want there permanently and I believe will do well once they are more mature. The trees to the right of the downspout are exposed to full sun from sun up to sun down, they seem to fair well there but with a mini heat wave I’d like to not over stress them. The trees to the left of the downspout receive sun at about 11:30 till end of day. From left to right they are as follows Seiryu (yes I grabbed one you all kept saying how great they are), Red Cloud, Moonrise, Orion, Taylor (which seems to be tolerate the sun much better than I expected), Coral Bark - sango Kaku, Hana Matoi, Ice Dragon. When time permits I’ll rig up something at work that will allow me to retract the shade and of course make it not look like a tent city, but my pride is not what’s important here the trees take priority right now :)

Attached Files:

Acerholic, Margot and Keith Elliott like this.
  25. Keith Elliott

It's RAINING here now! Lovely! Temperature only got up to 32.7º today, and has been falling nicely ever since. Down to a delightful 24.4 in the rain.
    BUT...B.C. has this "Heat Dome"coming over us and the forecast temperatures are brutal. Sixteen new forest fires this week already, and it's only just starting to get warm.
    Outside just a few minutes ago in the rain.

IMG_5781.JPG IMG_5782.JPG IMG_5780.JPG IMG_5783.JPG

I realize that wind doesn't show up in a photo, but those trees in the last two photos are really getting a good workout!