What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

That's a good question, one that I don't yet have an answer to. I think for the first time around I'm going to try for some that will survive the -17ºC to -22ºC winter temps that we get here. I'm definitely going to chat with one of their good people to see what they suggest. As time marches on, I will likely try for some of the finer leaved varieties. Locally here, I have now spotted at least a dozen JM's, and more than one has been a Bloodgood. If you have any ideas, I'm all ears.

2. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Raining at last !! won't be watering tonight.

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Bloodgod is a good choice Keith, but if your area is cold until May, then I would go for Emperor 1 as it leafs out later, so is better at avoiding late Spring frosts. It is also one of the best deep reds out there in the Japanese maple world.
    Although you do have to look at what is successful in your area, so check out other peoples trees.

D

Keith Elliott likes this.
  4. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I see the rain! From TV, on stadium, where ENG SCO soccer match is about to begin.

maf and Acerholic like this.
  5. Acerholic

Lol !!!!

6. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Still waiting for it here, we've not had a drop all day, even when the radar said it was, it wasn't, lol.
    I gave up around half four and got the watering can out.
    Screenshot_20210618_155742_com.android.chrome.jpg

7. Acerholic

I think we've had everybody's here.....

maf likes this.
  8. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

@Acerholic
    Even mentioned on the national news, 75mm in hampshire!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  9. Keith Elliott

Thanks D. I will put Emperor on the list. The snow is usually gone from the ground by the end of February, but that's not to say we don't get some cool nights.

Not sure if this means anything or not, but I have only seen the purple coloured maples here, no greens that I can recall.

I can check with Nico's over in Salmon Arm, they are a somewhat expensive nursery, but they do have nice product. They will know what works up this way. Same climate as Anglemont.

Edit: Dare I mention it is 27.2º here now and rising fast!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  10. Keith Elliott

Your radar sounds about as accurate as ours, which has been completely out to lunch for at least the last month. You'd think with all the taxpayer funded resources they have that they could do a bit better!

D97x7 likes this.
  11. Acerholic

It was torrential all day long, easily the most I've ever seen in June.

12. Acerholic

Might need your skills to build that ark here Keith.

13. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

In Northamptonshire all my water butts are now full and I have been running around filling up any spare tubs and buckets I can find!

Acerholic and Sulev like this.
  14. Acerholic

15. Keith Elliott

So I take it then that you won't be getting any more rain for a month? Maybe not...

Just starting to drizzle outside here. Leaving within the hour for the coast. Made up a long list of cold hardy maples!

16. Acerholic

More coming tonight and Monday apparently. Plus it's only 14° C here atm. But it's better than a drought. That will probably be in July, then August will bring locusts.... Isn't that the way it goes.. Lol.

Sulev likes this.
  17. Keith Elliott

Last night when I returned from the coast, this was in the sky. Looks like a forest fire in full boogie mode.

IMG_5344.JPG IMG_5339.JPG IMG_5345.JPG IMG_5346.JPG

Now it is after 10:30 p.m. on Monday and it is still 25.1ºC even though the sun has been gone behind the mountain for hours. They are trying to threaten us with 33ºC tomorrow, which means we are more likely to get 38º to 40º in our much too warm microclimate. No rain in sight.

Acerholic likes this.
  18. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Wow! I just took a look at the Anglemont weather forecast for this coming week - significantly hotter than ours. At 10:45pm, the outdoor temp here is 21.1ºC compared to your 25.1ºC. That sky of yours is gorgeous but not worth the price of scorching daytime temperatures!

19. Keith Elliott

That's really the trouble up here Margot. If you are right down at lake level, it is noticeably cooler. If the real temperatures were only what they forecast, it would be OK. But as you know, we seem to have our own private desert here. I think a large part of it is what is on the ground. The very top is either huge rocks (retaining walls) or black asphalt driveway. Then an all gravel driveway which covers a pretty big area, another rock retaining wall etc. So there's all this heat sink material here which really makes it very hot. Down at our friends' place just a few hundred yards down the hill, they have acreage with the bulk of it still in trees, most of which are a good eighty feet tall. It is always nice and cool there, regardless of what the official reading says. The bottom of their land does go right down to the road by the lake.

And let's not forget that you have that lovely big ocean to moderate your temperatures for you!

20. Acerholic

Good morning Keith, wonderful photos to wake up to, but as Margot mentioned at what price. I've just seen a news bulletin talking about 53°C in parts of the US and the reservoir at the Hoover Damm at it's lowest ever and an increasing population needing more and more water. The balloon will pop eventually!!
    Over here atm it is raining and quite chilly for the time of the year. Our forecast has just said, no heat until the beginning of July. I'm quite thankful of that after reading the article about the reservoir.

Have a nice sleep

D

21. Keith Elliott

Seems like it's either feast or famine when it comes to the weather D. We usually get an extremely hot August here, and we haven't even got to July yet!

22. Acerholic

Very good way of putting it Keith. Extremes all the time theses days.

D

23. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Fifth day in a row with temperatures above +30ºC. According to the weather forecast, it's raining now, but actually we have clear sky, and total drought.
    20210622_123928v.jpg 20210622_123210v.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-06-22-13-06-28.jpg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  24. Acerholic

25. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Contributor

the dreaded first heat wave of the summer now arrived here. Was 33 C in chilliwack yesterday and forecast to go hit 39 C on saturday, 40 C on sunday. These are temps. we have never seen in the lower mainland.

Keith Elliott and Lisa Harry like this.