Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

A few pictures from the Saturday past , most of the trees are well and truly out now , the ones which struggled during the spring have really rallied round and are looking reasonable , the colours which i would normal see have been very muted this year notably the Phoenix, last year this was stunning this year i thought i was going to lose it !! but in eighteen days it's just come back so strong, ok the colours are strange from what it normally is but it's survived which is the main thing. Have a Wilsons pink which last year was amazingly coloured this year nothing thought it had bitten the bullet, but it's just starting now ever so slowly to put leaf out , won't be coloured but it's alive phew!!!

Any way here's a small selection of trees , my favourite one this year is Aoba jo had a good branch pruning a few years back and is now coming back out very strong love the shape it's taking on now light trim later maybe? , stunning fall colours with this one as well.

Remembered to put the names on this time :) :)

Attached Files:

2. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Does anyone have Celebration? I believe that it's similar to Olsen's Frosted Strawberry, would love to see pictures.

3. ROEBUK

Find one for sure you will not be dissapointed three pics of mine in the ground , three colour changes through out the year. First two pics are from this year spring and now summer colour phase , then the last pic is from fall 2020 a lovely purple/red very pretty.

Attached Files:

4. D97x7

Beautiful, Roebuk, hope mine turns out like that.

5. ROEBUK

Variation of the ghost series , Purple ghost, Dark ghost , Frosted purple , Black hole and Celebration take your pick they are all so similar to each other ?? all different in there own way but so much alike , try sorting these out in a few years time.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    Acerholic, maf and D97x7 like this.
  6. D97x7

Thanks, couple of names I don't know there, I'm off to Google.

7. ROEBUK

Go on to Mr Maple 's website i believe he has all of these ??

D97x7 likes this.
  8. D97x7

I see what you mean, all very similar.

9. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Wow thank you for the pics it is so gorgeous , I appreciate everyone supporting my obsessions or to be politically correct “my new hobby”. A few family members asked if I felt I might have a problem with my tree purchases over the past year and I said “oh no you should see the others guys yards!!!”

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  10. ROEBUK

Don't worry after a few decades you will calm down a bit :) says me who went to a nursery the other week and hired a van to bring a few home with me , saying that i moved a few of my big ones on last week as well to make room for the new guys !!!! That went something like three out and nine in, the math doesn't quite work but hey ho will just have to cope !!!

11. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Thanks glad to know it’s not just me. My partner laughter at the rough bark maple i got the other day it’s like 7-8’ tall and it filled my small suv he still can’t believe I got it home alone in my ride!

Acerholic and Keith Elliott like this.
  12. ROEBUK

Never fails to amaze me how many large trees you can fit in a small vehicle when you try , the branch's always seem super bendy for some reason :)

Lisa Harry likes this.
  13. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

I packed a tarp so I could wrap it like a burrito worked great these are the bigger trees I loaded into a jeep renegade, both between 6-8’

Attached Files:

14. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

I use twine. Lol. The nursery workers always seem amazed as they watch me carefully try to save it branch and how tight I get the maple burrito.

Acerholic and Lisa Harry like this.
  15. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

To shade or not to shade, so my Ice Dragon I believe is tolerating the full sun like a champ, however we do have a week solid of higher temps continuing 27-30c plus. They are calling it a mini heat wave, I guess cause it’s not raining in June. So the ice dragon has only been here a month or so and it is still young. Where I have it, it receives full sun from approx 6am-6pm which I think may be a bit excessive at this stage, considering the ones at the nursery are fully green due to being shaded more (I love it’s colour and the leaves are healthy). My very young Hana Matoi is also there and receives very similar sun exposure,I have been putting it under my deck though. The Coral Bark is also holding up very well but gets a bit more shade in its spot than the other two. So I know it’s an ugly setup but I had no time, I was called back to work this evening and I am not willing to take any chances with a week of nice weather. The garden shade is supposed to be 40% UV reducing allow water and air flow. Later I’ll make something better at work but this will do for now. I think until some of the trees are more mature a retractable type shade might be a good idea when the sun turns on like a light switch cause I swear I had heat on a couple weeks ago!

Attached Files:

Acerholic and Keith Elliott like this.
  16. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

Hi Lisa, it looks like I'm going to need something similar on our east facing deck. That's where I have put the maples I got from Art's on Saturday. Unfortunately they had to spend a full day in the SUV while we were attending the alleged Graduation party for the grandkids. It looks like one of the maples has some damage as a result of the very unkind temperature.

I like that black shade cloth you have there, the stuff we have is a vibrant royal blue. Leaves something to be desired in the way of aesthetics I think. But it's what we have. Did you get your cloth locally?

Can you believe that I stuffed no less than 8 maples in the car on Saturday at Art's? Two are six feet tall and one of those has a six foot span. Trying to sort out some photos now.

17. Keith Elliott

Here's the reason I should never be left alone at the nursery. It's just too tempting! Fortunately I could only fit eight pots on to the cart!

IMG_5319.JPG IMG_5320.JPG IMG_5321.JPG IMG_5322.JPG IMG_5323.JPG IMG_5324.JPG IMG_5325.JPG IMG_5326.JPG IMG_5328.JPG IMG_5329.JPG

IMG_5327.JPG IMG_5331.JPG IMG_5330.JPG IMG_5334.JPG IMG_5332.JPG IMG_5333.JPG

Xi-feng, dicky5ash and Acerholic like this.
  18. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

What is 'Marmite'? I hesitate to ask . . .

Xi-feng and Keith Elliott like this.
  19. Keith Elliott

Easy to tell you aren't English. Sort of like the Australian Vegemite, only it tastes better. Here's part of my stash. It looks like a vile black heavy stain. Most Canadians can't stand the stuff.

IMG_5491.JPG

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  20. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

We like it!!!!!

21. Acerholic

22. Acerholic

Brilliant shading Lisa. They are going to be very happy trees. Well done.

D

Lisa Harry likes this.
  23. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

How awesome @Keith Elliott please list what you got. As for JM that can take weather extremes I believe the Jack Frost series is good it’s a hybrid I believe, I have the ice dragon which seems good in the heat but it’s colour seems to remain in its spring colour so far as I have very little shade. The shade cloth I got for like $30. On Amazon, I did some research and leaned they have different strengths. This one I got is 40% which apparently is the most one should get for a sun loving plant there are ones that are 60-90% for the shade loving plant. They are not weather blockers so they allow wind, rain and a percentage of sun. Looks like you got a great score!

Keith Elliott likes this.
  24. Acerholic

Good afternoon everyone, lifes a bit hectic atm, but I didn't forget to add some of my maples that were looking quite nice a few minutes ago.
    Should be back to morning postings tomorrow.
    Beni hime 275.JPG Dr Brown 275.JPG Kandy kitchen 275.JPG Beni shigitatsu sawa 275.JPG Ukon  275.JPG Lileeannes jewel 275.JPG Shindeshojo 275.JPG English Town 275.JPG
    They are Beni hime, Dr Brown, Kandy Kitchen, Beni shigitatsu sawa, Ukon, Lileeanes Jewel, Shin-Deshojo and English Town.

25. Keith Elliott

I remember when I was looking at shade cloth that I ran across so many different kinds and shapes that it was mind boggling. One thing that I did like was the sail shapes that were for sale, and now I'm thinking that maybe one of those might be OK on the east deck. What we have here now is what Val remembered she had in a big suitcase. It is the type they use at Construction sites when there is high scaffolding. It's super strong and is used for safety. I don't know what the % rating is, but I will suspect fairly high.

On the other hand, I can simply move the pots under the overhead if they get too hot. And that is one thing I didn't even think about, was the heat. I was more concerned with the winter lows here. Not too far sighted of me.

And with apologies to @Acerholic, I did look for "Emperor" and I thought I found one, but for whatever reason I didn't bring it home with me. I thought for sure I had one. Oh well, next trip I guess.

What I DID actually get is two of the regular Acer Palmatums, the same as I used to grow down on Ruxton. A Sangokaku, a Villa Tarantino, an Orangeole, a Burgundy Lace, a Seiryu and a Red Dragon. Some of them even have a few samaras forming, and with a little luck I will plant all those, after they spend the winter in the fridge.

When the sun gets high enough this morning, I'll get some photos.

maf, Acerholic and Lisa Harry like this.