Spirea variety?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Jon B, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Jon B

Jon B New Member

I’ve almost identified all of the plants in my yard with everyone’s help here thank you! Here’s another one. It has long woody arching/hanging branches 7-8 feet tall. I assume someone will be able to identify this shrub by the shape of the end of the leaves and the flowers?

98A8FA4E-0157-49C7-B9D0-C5804C8406A0.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2021
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I don't think we're Spiraea experts here. I went to a lot of effort to not quite identify two near me, in the thread at
    Shrub with teeny white flowers just starting to bloom | UBC Botanical Garden Forums
    You can see there how many more things about the plant people would want to know before identifying it.

One resource mentioned there is the page at Spiraea × arguta | Landscape Plants | Oregon State University, which has descriptions and photos of about twenty species and cultivars. Maybe you'll find yours there.

Jon B likes this.
  3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am unclear - i don’t see many if any flowers in the large shrub photo —- is it blooming now?

I think start researching « Spiraea trilobata »

The leaf shape is the tri-lobe part of name.

Tho overall it looks neglected - which I realize is not caused by you - you’re trying to rejuvenate and clearly making progress

Jon B likes this.
  4. Georgia Strait

I am re- considering —- given it’s an older garden and in a fairly rural town (I know the coast) — I think have a look at Bridal veil
    Spiraea vanhouttie

I think every garden had that plus a lilac and a quince and a Anna Rose Whitney
    Rhodo (Pink) (or Jean Marie de Montague - Red)

the well known univ in Corvallis OR has a very handy website that somewhat relates to coast climate hère in BC

Spiraea × vanhouttei | Landscape Plants | Oregon State University

Jon B likes this.
  5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I think what you call Bridal Veil, we called Bridal Wreath. I do see flowers on the first photo @Jon B posted but, to me, the shrub does not look like Spiraea x vanhouttei. To me, the flower clusters seem less rounded, the leaves thicker and the arching habit, not evident.

PS I remember most Vancouver gardens also sported one or another Cotoneaster too, often the type splayed up against the foundation of houses.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  6. Georgia Strait

So true - and a juniper « ground cover »

@Margot - what do you think the plant is on lower right corner (in photo of full shrub) —- a dogwood? Why is it down near the ground I wonder

One thought I have about this original question (OP - above) is if the root stock took over from the decorative grafted upper part at some point a couple of decades ago

7. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

That plant we see down near the ground is probably taller than it seems . . . I see bits of leaves all the way up the right-hand side of the picture, connected by the vertical branch or others. They do look a lot like dogwood.