What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Yes it's quite a commitment tbh R. But as the climate is changing and you are a 'very' enthusiastic maple grower, then some serious thought on this subject is necessary on looking further ahead for your trees.
    I will be very interested to see what you do, as I'm sure others will.

D

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I have 4000 litres of rain water storage capacity, that was all full of water 4 weeks ago. Today only 500 litres are left, despite we had some rain 5 days ago, when I managed to collect 1600 litres, And now we'll have no significant amount of rain foreseen for at least 4 days. But the heat wave still goes on

weather.jpg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  3. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

Anglemont forecast: High 27ºC today, no rain until Saturday, all of 2 mm. Then no rain until the 25th...and getting very warm. Highs to 33ºC over the ensuing days. I need to get some rainwater storage set up soon.

4. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Woww that’s some water storage! Do you use ibc containers?

5. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Yes, I have two 600 litres IBC-s (actual volume is almost 700), six 200 litres metal barrels, one 400 litres metal tank, ten 80 litres plastic tanks and several 20 litres plastic buckets. I'm using smaller containers in my melon tent for preheating the water for melons. 200 litres barrels are mainly for vegetable beds and strawberries. IBC-s are for last reserve.

dicky5ash likes this.
  6. Acerholic

Brilliant storage Sulev. This is the way forward.

7. Acerholic

It is a good long term investment Keith and especially with the temperatures you are getting. I don't think it's going to get better any time soon, if ever tbh.

Keith Elliott likes this.
  8. Keith Elliott

I am with you on the long term temperature rises that have been forecast for some time. Right here, we've been having some very warm days this year already (not in the last week of rain of course) but near term expectations are high, and this is still only June. It gets hot here in later July and August.

I'm going to see where, and how many, 45 gallon barrels we can reasonably situate in different spots around the garden. I don't much care for the bright blue colour of these barrels, but when I was on Ruxton, I painted all of mine brindle brown, a relatively invisible colour. At 208 litres each, just 5 will get us 1,000+ litre capacity to start with.

dicky5ash and Acerholic like this.
  9. Acerholic

That sounds a very good start indeed Keith. Enough to water the raised beds amply through the Summer months.

10. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I'm using green tarp to blend my IBC-s in with my vegetable beds. The tarp hopefully protects plastic from UV and containers will last longer.
    20210617_212434v.jpg

11. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

This was my husbands last winter project to install two 1000l ibc’s and they are coming to good use already. Fortunately we can hide them in our garage/barn. I hope they fill back up tonight as thunderstorms are predicted but it does seem longer for them to fill then for them to empty unfortunately.

Attached Files:

Acerholic, dicky5ash, D97x7 and 3 others like this.
  12. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Stop come back were over here !!!!!!! oh maybe tomorrow then ??? Really need some rain now.

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      170.5 KB
      Views:
    Acerholic and Keith Elliott like this.
  13. Acerholic

It's 1030hrs on Friday and all my tanks are full. Really heavy non stop rain here atm.

14. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Lucky you! :)
    My reserves have almost exhausted, but there is so hot today, and next few days will be even hotter. Even potatoes look slightly withered already.
    Only my melons, figs and pomegranates are enjoying this heat.

15. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Not a drop near the Somerset coast yet.

16. Acerholic

Sorry to hear that Sulev. Very important to remember that when some have it good, others have the opposite.

D

17. Acerholic

How strange, I thought the whole of the South Coast was getting this rain. Perhaps yours will come later today N.

18. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Ah, it seems it hasn't quite got here yet.
    Screenshot_20210618_111353.jpg
    Think I'll take the dogs out before it does.

Acerholic likes this.
  19. Acerholic

That sounds a good plan N looking at what I'm getting here atm.

20. Keith Elliott

A mix of sun and cloud here all day, high of 29ºC. Saturday, mostly cloudy with showers.

21. Acerholic

That's 12° warmer than here atm. Lol. One extreme to another !!

22. Keith Elliott

One might think that shortly after 2 p.m. in Hampshire, that it would be warmer than 17º. Showing 15.2º here atm and still falling. The temperature usually changes direction around 7 a.m. here most days at this time of year.

Have to check the coast weather for tomorrow...heading down in early a.m., first stop Art's nursery!

23. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Your message was actually very comforting, as our weather comes mostly from the Atlantic, so ca 3 days later than you we can expect some rain (if you did not exhaust all the clouds already, with such a continuous pouring you described)

24. Acerholic

Hopefully some has been saved for your potatoes Sulev. I'll do my best to blow it your way!!!!

D

Sulev likes this.
  25. Acerholic

What's on the shopping list Keith ?